Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peli Case - Fitting the foam

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Peli Case - Fitting the foam

Saturday morning, returning from stalking, I figured I needed to find a productive way to spend the morning.

Having recently picked up a secondhand Peli case and also a spare synthetic stock for the .308 Blaser, I decided to fit the dis-assembled gun to the case in preparation for the annual trip up to Scotland. I thought others might be interested in the process so here's a quick write-up.

Here's the basic case, as picked up off eBay:

First step was to trace round the rifle components onto A4 paper (sellotaped together where necessary) to make up the patterns of what I would subsequently need to cut out.

These patterns were then cut out and stuck onto the foam sheet using a good old Pritt stick. Spray glue would have been better, but the Pritt stick was in the kitchen drawer! Playing around with the patterns lets you work out the most suitable layout for the foam.

Having done this, I then set to with the a hot foam cutter that I picked up off of eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hot-wire-t...item3cc7f9c9af (excellent service by the way, arrived next day).

For each piece you're cutting out you need to start by making a hole through the foam with a sharp knife. You can then feed through the wire from the cutter, connect everything up and let rip. A steady hand is called for, along with firm, even, pressure on the foam. For a first attempt I was quite happy with the results, though with a bit more practice I am sure you could end up with something much more professional looking.

The foam shown here in the lid I subsequently removed and fitted a standard sheet of foam.

Finally, then, it was time to fit the components into the case. On the first attempt I realised that both the bolt and the barrel would sit too low down in the foam, so I took the respective pieces of foam that I'd cut out and cut them in half lengthwise, basically ending up with holes of half the depth, which seemed about perfect.

All things considered, it turned out pretty well. The empty circular hole, BTW, is intended for the rifle sling. Compared to the previous effort of using a sharp knife to cut out the holes, the hot foam cutter makes a far neater job.

On top of the successful stalk earlier in the day (though with the .243 rather than the .308) and supper in the pub that evening, it was a pretty good Saturday all told!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

First class job, thanks for taking the time to post it up!

...and congrats on the buck
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Bloody good that !! Well done.

Nice professional job that Dom, when I cut the foam for my Peli 1750 I just traced around the Mannlicher, bolt, mod, mag & a box of rounds with chalk & cut with a scalpel, as I'm in the medical business scalpels are something I have plenty of!

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

WG excuse my igronance but is the Blaser designed to take down like that or do you dissasemble with and allen key etc, the reason I ask is my peli 1750 is quite long and I try to tie in stalking with work travel etc and a smaller case would be much more manageable into hotels, it hadnt crossed my mind to do what you have.

If you do dismantle it how do you find it goes back together with keeping zero etc?

Thanks

Leon

Hi Leon, That is one of the best selling points of Blaser rifles, they should come with a T bar shaped allen key to enable you to dismantle it for transporting.
    Dom only has one barrel and 'scope in his and I notice he hasn't separated them.
    I have two barrels and two scopes which I always carry separated from the stock.
    With the use of the T bar I can use either a .243 with one of the scopes zeroed for that calibre or the 30-06 barrel with the other scope zeroed for that.
    I suppose, with a bit of juggling, I could use the one scope for both rifles by making notes of the turret adjustment but as the case is big enough I don't.
    So yes, the Blaser will swop back and forth from barrel and scope and always return to the zero you set it at.
    Last edited by EMcC; 25-07-2012 at 13:28.

Anyone know if there is a Peli or similar plastic case at around 600/650mm long x 400mm? that would be the optimum sizing for my Heym SR44 break action rifle and 'scope when taken down. I've had a skulk around the web but the rifle cases are too long and other cases tend to come up too deep once they go over a briefcase size.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Anyone know if there is a Peli or similar plastic case at around 600/650mm long x 400mm? that would be the optimum sizing for my Heym SR44 break action rifle and 'scope when taken down. I've had a skulk around the web but the rifle cases are too long and other cases tend to come up too deep once they go over a briefcase size.
    I keep an eye on E Bay for such a thing but never seem to have any luck.
    I have one but with two rifles it might be handy to have another case in case I need to lend a rifle to someone and baggage handlers at airports are not known for their delicacy in handling firearms !!