Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etorphine M99 replaces Immobilon for Jelen.

Etorphine M99 replaces Immobilon for Jelen.

We are pleased to report that M99 and the reversing agent M5050 is now going to be available to Live Capture Operators through their Vets. It was a real worry to us as stag de-antlering season looms ever closer.

We've never used anything other than Immobilon/Revivon for stags as I don't think there's been anything to touch it as far as knock-down and reversal speed goes.

M99 is going to be over 550 per pack, much more expensive than Immobilon/Revivon, but on the plus side M99/M5050 is about 3-4 times stronger than Immobilon, so we should be able to use smaller darts.

If you want your Vet to get hold of it, then they will ned to applye for an STC (Special Treatment Certificate) to treat deer under cascade.

Great news for professional Live Capture Operators, although those who wished to see Immobilon banned may have a different view.

It is my understanding that Immobilon may come back on stream in the future, or a similar alternative, but for now M99/M5050 looks like it will do the lob for the time being.

I'd be interested to hear some of SD vet's views on this.

Regards,

Mike

(Director - Jelen Deer Services)

isn't m99 just US manufacture immobilon like revivon being m5050 (US name)?
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 24-07-2012 at 18:11.

Mike,

Is there stock in this country? I made enquiries back in April and found the shocking price and was told that is was slow to get as each order imported from South Africa. I was also told that a new version of Immobilon was in the pipeline and I am on the list of people to contact when it becomes available.

We have to use an open vial within 28 days and it is illegal to supply an out of date medicine so my interest in the product ended there!

I would like to know what they pay for it in South Africa - I suspect only a few pounds.

There are alternative drugs that can be used to good effect that can be reversed. In certain cases the animal may be able to go back into the food chain. They are safer for operators too.

I suspect in the not too distant future we will all have to get used to life without Etoprhine.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    M99 contains:
    Each 1 ml of M99 9,8 mg/ml contains: Etorphine hydrochloride 9,8 mg (equivalent to 9,0 mg etorphine alkaloid)

Immobilon contained:
    1ml contains: 2.45mg Etoprhine and 10mg Acepromazine

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I can't do the maths on that... or even know what it means. I just know that getting jagged is really bad news

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Mike,

Is there stock in this country? I made enquiries back in April and found the shocking price and was told that is was slow to get as each order imported from South Africa. I was also told that a new version of Immobilon was in the pipeline and I am on the list of people to contact when it becomes available.

We have to use an open vial within 28 days and it is illegal to supply an out of date medicine so my interest in the product ended there!

I would like to know what they pay for it in South Africa - I suspect only a few pounds.

There are alternative drugs that can be used to good effect that can be reversed. In certain cases the animal may be able to go back into the food chain. They are safer for operators too.

I suspect in the not too distant future we will all have to get used to life without Etoprhine.
    hi Apache,

i believe there are stocks on the way to some vets, and we have asked our vets to apply for the STC to get ours in.

I believe that it's well expensive in SA too. I have spoken to a few LCO's over there who confirm this. As far as we're concerned, it wil probably work out a little cheaper, but as you say the relatively short shelf-life could cause us some problems.

I'd be interested to hear your choice of alternative drugs - as yet we've not found anything that comes near to Etorphine as far as reliability and speed is concerned. Any suggestions and relative dose rates for Red deer would be most welcome.

However, like you I am sure that the days are numbered for Etorphine unless the zoo vets and large animals vets can apply enough pressure in the right places backed up with a good reason.

Regards,

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Hi Paul,

The difference is (as far as I'm aware) that Immobilon is simply M99 with ACP. It will be interesting to see whether the lack of ACP will have any significant effect on darted Red deer.

However, I'm not a Vet, so perhaps Apache and Morena can provide some useful information.

Regards,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    M99 contains:
    Each 1 ml of M99 9,8 mg/ml contains: Etorphine hydrochloride 9,8 mg (equivalent to 9,0 mg etorphine alkaloid)

Immobilon contained:
    1ml contains: 2.45mg Etoprhine and 10mg Acepromazine

Sorry Apache,

Didn't spot that you'd already covered this.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike how much would I need to give me a peaceful evening from the wife she's about heifer weight

Quote Originally Posted by Jelendeer View Post
    It will be interesting to see whether the lack of ACP will have any significant effect on darted Red deer.

However, I'm not a Vet,
    Nor am I, but I'm also interested.

Was it included as an antiemetic, I wonder, or as adjunctive sedative? Or as both?
    Or as a bit of a marketing gimmick?