Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchcombe, Glos: Great evening calling roe, sad ending with an argument.

Winchcombe, Glos: Great evening calling roe, sad ending with an argument.

I went for a Stalk yesterday evening (with full knowledge of the farmer: Time and location cleared in advance): Roe rut in full swing, I managed to call them in, four of them, using the Buttalo call, superb to watch, ended up in a high seat, got ready to select a cull buck, great evening. A classic. Up to a point.

And then...... a man with a rifle appeared under the high seat, he got very angry and aggressive as he had the 'sole stalking rights' on this farm and had paid a lot of money for it. And what did I do in his high seat, he was going to call the Police, I must be a poacher, he demanded to know my name and see my permission letter, etc. The language he used was fruity ( to say it politely), the body language aggressive.
    To make a long story short, the evening was spoiled for him, for me, and also for the farmer who had better things to do.
    It was bound to happen one day - farmers need to get their act together re. permissions, access and safety. And they need to decide if the gain of a paying stalker looking for trophies is worth the loss of a pest controlling shooter who tries to manage his pigeons, rabbits, fox and deer.

But lets try to see the funny side of things: During this almighty row two bucks were watching us, not fuzzed at all, from only approx. 50 yards, and they quite enjoyed the commotion!

And if you are that man (I didn't get your name) please send me a PM and maybe we can meet up for a beer, shake hands, put it down to experience, and who knows, one day we could go for a Stalk together on one of my other permissions.

Almost identical thing happened to me on Monday eve, shooting on ground where I have shot for years will full permission, approached by guy who comes out with almost identical comments and behaviour, except he helps on the small shoot and does some of the vermin control.

Ruined the night and his behaviour totally unwarranted and not what you would expect from a FAC holder. Ended up with totally peed off landowner and farmer. We have lodged informal complaints with Fire Arms dept and local FLO.

If truth is known somebody trying to do a land grab to get the stalking and not prepared to reach any ammicable arrangements which would be OK for both parties.

Awaiting developements.

I agree cpmpletrly with your comments and approach, I have ended up meeting some great guys due to similar situations and everyone gets to benifit. The situation as realy annoyed me and my shooting partner and is the sad face of the current shooting/stalking scene.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    We have lodged informal complaints with Fire Arms dept and local FLO.
    Awaiting developements.

D
    Cyres, what do you mean WE , who is WE, I would advise you to make a full written account of your encounter, for you may need it to refresh your memory of events if you are interviewed/formally or informally by the Police regarding this matter, unless both you and the OTHER PERSON made a joint complaint you will not know what he has said about your conduct!!!. If the Police do want to interview you I would advise having a Solicitor with you (even at your home you are entitled to have a Solicitor present when interviewed under caution), this is free, do not be cagoled into being interviewed without a Solicitor (preferably one who knows the Criminal Law & Firearms Law), if you have any questions send me a PM and we can talk about it......all free of charge, thats what this site is about, helping others!!
    Last edited by patrickt; 25-07-2012 at 10:12. Reason: spelling mistake

So who did put the highseat up EH?...... If you are not paying (formally leasing) and you don't know the occupier or owner v.well (if you did you'd surely know the full picture) you ought not too be suprised by other guys having similar arrangements. If you are annually paying money with or without a lease document you would be well pissed off too find another stranger sharing your lease.
    As for involving solicitors and complaining to firearms dept. that seems well over the top......six of one and half a dozen of other I'd say!

Quote Originally Posted by shortshot View Post
    So who did put the highseat up EH?......
    I was wondering about that - might have been a bit of a clue that there was somebody else on the ground if it wasn't the OP - or maybe they do grow on trees!

As for the farmer having his evening spoilt, well maybe he deserved it if he's taking money off someone in return for the 'sole' stalking rights and then letting others shoot the deer, (whether for payment 'in kind' or not).

Interesting topic, we used to have the same issues sometimes (often) with poachers. It was not until a few years ago when someone was murdered by assumingly a poacher, the law changed.

From then on, before any hunting/stalking takes place, a hunters book is on the lease, which was kept in a sky box with the all leaseholders having a key, had to be filled in with name, hunters registration number, car number plate, any guest names, time of commencing the hunt and location -identified by direction and time to get there or GPS co-ordinate or highseat number, also a provision to record kills or sightings (optional). Some would say a bit too beauracratic, however it does save a lot of hassle, especially if others are in the disturbance factor, or if part of syndicate land, besides that the farmer knows where you are too.

Just thought I would share.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Nicholls View Post
    Interesting topic, we used to have the same issues sometimes (often) with poachers. It was not until a few years ago when someone was murdered by assumingly a poacher, the law changed.

From then on, before any hunting/stalking takes place, a hunters book is on the lease, which was kept in a sky box with the all leaseholders having a key, had to be filled in with name, hunters registration number, car number plate, any guest names, time of commencing the hunt and location -identified by direction and time to get there or GPS co-ordinate or highseat number, also a provision to record kills or sightings (optional). Some would say a bit too beauracratic, however it does save a lot of hassle, especially if others are in the disturbance factor, or if part of syndicate land, besides that the farmer knows where you are too.

Just thought I would share.
    One of my permissions works the same, only one party at any one time and bookings need to be made in advance (no turn ups). Personally I like it because if I catch anyone on the land shooting they will get an earful and it stops any stray shots!

Did anyone else notice the locations of the OP and the second poster, Gloucester and Cheltenham, similar incidents.....

We have farms were we crop protect while some one else has the stalking rights we don't touch the bucks and certainly would not go near the ground in or around the rut. If your one one of my grounds i hope your rut is superb.

Kent Wildfowlers run a similar rota system but it is just to not overshoot the geese per day.
    With stalking with rifles though of course no one would ever take a dangerous shot (DSC1 test dog walkers etc).
    So the risk must be unmeasurably small. (I tried to spell infinitesimally and failed).
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Kent Wildfowlers run a similar rota system but it is just to not overshoot the geese per day.
    Well it's mostly to limit the shooting pressure (not all areas are open every day), but it's also a safety consideration to make sur ethat there's plenty of space for everyone there without anyone having to get in each other's way or line of fire. It works very well though. It's rare that I can't obtain a permit for an area I want to go.