Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roe buck:Doe ratio's can we shoot too many bucks

Roe buck:Doe ratio's can we shoot too many bucks

Now the rut is in full swing a huge no of bucks are being shot. Many prime bucks will be taken as will lesser heads.

I have read many posts stating that once a buck is shot another soon moves in. In the abscence of a roe buck in her territory then a doe will go and find one and bring it back.

The profesional stalkers among us may know the answer, so in your view what should the ratio be and also how many does will a roe buck cover in the rut? For thoose same stalkers what sort of ratio would you like to achieve?

I ask because of late I have seen very few bucks on some ground with an abundance of does, could we be in a situation when bucks are being overshot( in this case not by me I should add) also would there be any merit it sparing very good bucks until the rut is over?

Last year i did this, hadden't the heart to shoot such a fine buck just before the rut and he is still around, looking older but as normal some what ellusive when I have the C/f with me.

Regards

D

The ideal ratio is 1 to 1 it is hardly ever achieved 1.5 or even 2 does to a buck is more normal

The survival rate of doe kids is slightly better than those of buck kids so this needs to reflect on the doe cull which
    should be at least as many as bucks culled and in most cases a bit more.

As to leaving a buck till after the rut it may have some merit but remember the buck has only half the input
    also its the doe that chooses the buck, our idea of a good buck and hers might not be the same.

Though she tends to mate initially with a strong mature buck after the initial mating she will mate with any buck
    she becomes far less fussy, however with a bit of luck the deed should have been done with the initial mating.

No we cant shoot to many and when you consider the roads will take 10x,s what a stalker takes then don't be to concerned. But leave the quality if you remove that you will see standards slowly fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Though she tends to mate initially with a strong mature buck after the initial mating she will mate with any buck
    she becomes far less fussy...
    a characteristic shared by a few ladies I know.......

on topic I would say it is very difficult to say where you are at in terms of ratio as you will never truly know how many deer there are in total and what overlaps in ground there are within your own boundaries unless you happen to be controlling the entire extent of an island

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Now the rut is in full swing a huge no of bucks are being shot. Many prime bucks will be taken as will lesser heads.

I have read many posts stating that once a buck is shot another soon moves in. In the abscence of a roe buck in her territory then a doe will go and find one and bring it back.

The profesional stalkers among us may know the answer, so in your view what should the ratio be and also how many does will a roe buck cover in the rut? For thoose same stalkers what sort of ratio would you like to achieve?

I ask because of late I have seen very few bucks on some ground with an abundance of does, could we be in a situation when bucks are being overshot( in this case not by me I should add) also would there be any merit it sparing very good bucks until the rut is over?

Last year i did this, hadden't the heart to shoot such a fine buck just before the rut and he is still around, looking older but as normal some what ellusive when I have the C/f with me.

Regards

D
    Just a suggestion, but it may be that most does are currently browsing more frequently due to feeding kids, and therefore more readily seen than the bucks.
    I'm tending to find the does are out and about early evening at the moment but the larger bucks not seen till almost dark.

I have in the past been to hard on bucks on an area i had ,on the first year on the ground i shot a good amount, but then the following 2 years struggled for bucks, still seen plenty doe,s . so if you are wanting to look after an area i would be very choosey about bucks to cull. just my opinion.

took the dog for a walk today and upset a doe with kid....kid was that young it ran and did 5 forward rolls before gathering feet.....1-2 weeks old at the most...

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    The ideal ratio is 1 to 1 it is hardly ever achieved 1.5 or even 2 does to a buck is more normal

The survival rate of doe kids is slightly better than those of buck kids so this needs to reflect on the doe cull which
    should be at least as many as bucks culled and in most cases a bit more.

As to leaving a buck till after the rut it may have some merit but remember the buck has only half the input
    also its the doe that chooses the buck, our idea of a good buck and hers might not be the same.

she becomes far less fussy, however with a bit of luck the deed should have been done with the initial mating.
    Cannot see why you should not be able to get 1 to 1.

We have a simple method.

Over a 12 months period a few people count all the deer they see. At the end of that period you have seen, say, 900 does, double counting does not matter and, say, 600 bucks.

The next season we will shoot 50% more does than bucks.

Rule 2

60% of bucks shot must be yearlings. The result is a steady increase in weight and in a good year better throphees.

Where did the 50% of the bucks you are not seeing go?
    Logic dictates that populations will always level out at 1:1 male to female offspring
    If anything a more sustainable population can support a higher number of does to bucks

I realise the natural behaviour of kicking out the young bucks will appear to make them less prevalent but they must be somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Where did the 50% of the bucks you are not seeing go?
    Logic dictates that populations will always level out at 1:1 male to female offspring
    If anything a more sustainable population can support a higher number of does to bucks

I realise the natural behaviour of kicking out the young bucks will appear to make them less prevalent but they must be somewhere.
    Obviously you cannot count what you don't see. This method gives a statistically valid sample of the population.

Am not certain where logic comes in. If you shoot only bucks it seems to me logical that in time you get more does.

Most of the young bucks are in my freezer.