Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 25-06 for fox

25-06 for fox

i recently got my variation back for a 25-06 which i have brought but on my certificate i have a condition of fox only to be shot whilst deer stalking,i got a message from my feo today and he said that they don't see a 25-06 as a calibre of be used for foxing, the only reason i went for 25 was i want on rifle for all my needs, which this suits all round.
    has anyone heard of this before? i have tried contacting my feo tonight but i had a late day at work.
    thanks atb matt

I spoke with my FAO when I put in for a variation last year and was advised that although it stated deer on my certificate, this meant anything up to and including the size of a red deer stag so covered fox, deer, boar etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    i recently got my variation back for a 25-06 which i have brought but on my certificate i have a condition of fox only to be shot whilst deer stalking,i got a message from my feo today and he said that they don't see a 25-06 as a calibre of be used for foxing, the only reason i went for 25 was i want on rifle for all my needs, which this suits all round.
    has anyone heard of this before? i have tried contacting my feo tonight but i had a late day at work.
    thanks atb matt

Havnt heard of that 1.. My 25-06 was fox and Deer. Could this be abother regional force difference?

Nutty

Just challenge it as not acceptable. If in BASC talk to them. Make your challenge in writing so they have to write back with an answer don't accept it verbally.
    good luck things like that really annoy me.

Mine says 25-06 for fox only
    When I asked about this
    My answer they did not think it was big enough for deer, but they did agree to put muntjac and CWD on it if I wanted
    Fantastic
    Last edited by stone; 25-07-2012 at 19:48.

This is a standard for Sussex as they are trying to deter shooters from aquiring "larger calibres" for fox shooting only.. Just challenge it with a viable reason im sure they will reword it..I did and have 270 and 308 conditioned for fox

ATB Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    thanks atb matt
    Yeah sussex won't let you have anything larger than a .243 for fox (as a fox/deer gun) - surrey are worse; they won't let you have anything larger than a .222!!!

Having said this if you call the HQ or write a letter to them stating that you only want to have one rifle rather than 2, and that the land you shoot on is cleared for 25-06 then they may be sympathetic.

Yes I know BASC will tell you it's illegal - but in my experience BASC have offered very little in terms of actual support, and are experts at antagonising licensing depts.

My advice is speak or write to them in a calm, polite, and rational manner - and if that doesn't work then explore the appeal route afterwards (if you still feel disgruntled).

i also did the same ,i got rid of my 243 steyre,and got my 25 put on for foxs so that i had a gun for all occasions ,of which they said good idea,then on my next renewal foxs were taken off,so i had no rifle for foxing and keepering two part time shoots this was anoying to say the least,i had a few heated phone calls with the police ,got no where then had to get a 243 again,basc wernt very helpfull by the way.

thank you for all the advice guys, ill try and get hold of my local feo tomorrow and hopefully get something sorted. when he visited me i asked for fox and deer as i only wanted one rifle. he didnt seem to think it would be a issue.
    thanks matt

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    This is a standard for Sussex as they are trying to deter shooters from aquiring "larger calibres" for fox shooting only.. Just challenge it with a viable reason im sure they will reword it..I did and have 270 and 308 conditioned for fox

ATB Steve
    hello steve, so did you have the same condition on your 270 and 308 when it first came back from sussex police??
    if so may i ask what they wanted to know to get it cleared for fox shooting.
    thanks matt