63grn Sierra soft points 22/250 Ruger m77 mk2 vt

Hootsman

Iam just in from trying my new Sierra 63grn soft points for the 22/250. I shot them t 100 yrds at a small target. I was shocked at their accuracy. Bullet on bullet fantastic. I have to try them further out but they are showing great potential. I used Federal brass and primers and 33.5 of vit 140 powder. I used 55 grn game kings before but they are no where near as accurate. Sorry if this is boring but I had to pass it on cheers Hootsman

Being a 12 twist will let you shoot these nicely. A 14 twist and 55 grain bullets is about the limit.
I think they should make all 22/250 rifles a 12 twist

Hi Jay I was a bit worried about trying them. I wanted somthing to hit harder on the roe and stop them running as much. I think these will do the job, I have the kids to look after for two weeks so I will have to leave it till then to try them. Cheers Hootsman

Being a 12 twist will let you shoot these nicely. A 14 twist and 55 grain bullets is about the limit.

Hmmmm. Everyone including the OP has been wrong so far.

All Rugers, and every other U.S. rifle in .22-250 uses the standard 1:14" twist. It's been the tried and tested industry standard for decades.

Any rifle using a 1:14 twist should shoot the Sierra 63gr SMP. It's designed for this with a flat base and a blunt nose to reduce length. Why would Sierra market a sporting bullet that wouldn't work in all the rifles out there?

I've mentioned this twist theory before, but just to say again that the 63gr is now the standard load in my Tikka M595 LH .22-250..... because of the magazine length, not the rifle throat which is long.

It also works just as well in my Heym .222 (1:14), but I prefer the Sierra 50gr SP for speed.

Both the Sierra 50gr and 63gr are varmint bullets so they perform the same.

I don't remember having any problems with my 22-250AI using 63 grain bullets. Maybe with a .223 they should dump the 1-14" twist rate, but in the 22-250 it works well. Remember also that the 22-250 was designed as a long range varmint round and marketed towards speed. I remember when it was a badge of honor for some guys to get a 35 or 40 grn varmint bullet moving fast enough to fall just short of disintegrating on the way to the target yet still give good accuracy.~Muir

I stand corrected sorry for the wrong info. I thought they were 1 in 12. they work thats all that matters cheers Hootsman

I dont think I will be changing soon Jay. I have the blitz king 55 grn aswell so I will use them up

Looking good Eyefor better shot than me thats for sure. I have used the 55gr soft sierra game kings aswell and they are great. I was looking for somthing that was harder hitting and was suprised at how good the 63gr are. The rugers are heavy and murder to carry up and down hills. Cheers Hootsman

Back