Thread: Hinds are harder to stalk than Stags?

Post Hinds are harder to stalk than Stags?

I would be interested in opinions from members on this topic. In my own experience I have found the hinds to be generally much more wary and sensitive to noise and movement than the stags. I have found this to very much the case during the rut but guess the explanation is that the stags are focused on fighting and passing on their genes at that time of year.

I have real difficulty on my ground getting the hind numbers I ought to compared to the stags, partly due to their movements and habits, but i'd have to agree that they are much more cautious than the boys, even early on in the season the stags are like fish in a barrell, not so the hinds!

My bet would go on stags, during the stags they tend to have exceptional sentries in hinds in attendance. Many a stag stalk has been blown by couched hinds. earlier in the season dispersed hinds in august sun can be a nightmare and during the rut the grouped hinds has a lot of eyes watching out for you.

During the hind season the weather tends to make hinds more predictable hiding out of the wind and rain (in the lee) and you can slowly work your way into a group rather than having to get the one with the pointy head always on the far side of the group....

It's interesting that your experience is similar to mine. My stalking is mostly on the open hill in Scotland and I have found the pressure to get the hinds in has improved my stealth and field craft. Is your hunting terrain more wooded and agricultural?

I take your point that about the hinds acting as sentries during the rut. I have seen this in Scotland and trying to work your way in to a stag who is at rest with his hinds is very difficult and have found that it is the lead hind you have to watch in making your approach. However if he is on guard or challenging a rival stag I have found it relatively simple to to get in on him. Thanks for the response

red experience all open hill, but yes, experience leads to stealth - and efficiency in getting a good shot off!

with reds like any herding deer ones and two are not the problem with stags or hinds but bigger groups have many more eyes and ears with a bigger spead to catch you out. Generally stags get a bit thick during the rut but hinds are generally more aware and sensitive all year round

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Hinds will be more alert to their surroundings at this time of year as many will be with Calf. There parental urge will he higher than other times of the year.

Stags are pre occupied trying to "Man Up" towards anything it comes across.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Sika hinds are far more difficult to stalk at any time of their season than sika stags are during theirs...

Hinds are always more difficult to stalk. There will be a dominant hind that is always on the watch. Stags are a bit how would you say dimmer and less aware...