Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Scottish land cleared?!

How is Scottish land cleared?!

My licence says "land deemed suitable by the chief of police for the area on which that land resides"...

Am I right in thinking no land is cleared in scotland in this method? - if so then theoretically I can't shoot in scotland?

Never heard of land being cleared up here. My first FAC was open, the FLO asked where I was shooting and said, "Oh aye, I know that place, it`s fine "

Not sure you can shoot elsewhere until you`re license is open, but not 100% on that,

Brought this up with my FEO last week as I have the same on my FAC. He wasn't aware that they don't routinely clear land in Scotland. So I phoned L&B who said that any request for land clearance had to come from my FLD and not from me.

My FAO would only give me a restricted license.
    I had to send all permissions to him and he personally inspected all of the land that I intended to shoot on.
    He would then report back on the maximum calibre that he would allow on that particular farm/area.
    Have since renewed my license and it is now 'open' as I am now deemed to have enough experience to make that call myself.

Never had or seen this type of restriction, I've been in Grampian, Strathclyde & Northern.

Read the comments about this in SACS winter newsletter.

D

I spoke to my FLO - he said my conditions say "land deemed suitable by the Cheif of police for that area" so as long as it's cleared by Scotts police then I'm ok... my concern is I don't think that's how it works in scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I spoke to my FLO - he said my conditions say "land deemed suitable by the Cheif of police for that area" so as long as it's cleared by Scotts police then I'm ok... my concern is I don't think that's how it works in scotland?
    You're right - much of the land north of the border will not have been inspected because many Scottish police forces issue 'open' FACs from the off - and from previous postings on here it right result in them being reluctant to actually inspect land for the benefit of 'foreign' FLOs!

Could be a good reason to ask for your FAC to be 'opened' to take account of this situation - use it to your advantage.

BTW: SACS is the Scottish Association for Country Sports. Based in Jockland and with a Scottish/N.Ireland slant but IMHO one of the best out there no matter where you live in the UK - excellent insurance package, (with 100K legal cover for firearms related matters), willing to get involved on behalf of members, and all for 35 a year.

http://www.sacs.org.uk/

BTW: