Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Africa. Looking for advice.

Planning a trip to Africa. Looking for advice.

Hello all,

Time to stop dreaming about it and book it. Who: Trip for me and my father (35 & 65). When: 2013

Looking for where to go. What to do and what not to do.

Budget - What's a good handrail?

All advice greatfully received. Thanks

For low fence (open country / fair chase) the season for plains game is June to August, whereas high fence hunting (within enclosed ground, although hunting wild game over areas from 5,000 to 150,000 hectares) is pretty much all year round. Mostly depends how temperature tolerant you are - I'm going to be out in South Africa (freestate and Limpopo) for most of September this year and the temperature will be a pleasant 22-25 degrees celsius during the day but can get down to freezing at night, so early starts can be chilly.

Regarding budget, it all depends what you want to hunt, as the main costs are incurred in trophy fees on top of your PH's inclusive daily rate for accommodation, food, guiding etc. - all outfitters will have a game list with prices (have a look in the 'hunts offered' section on Accurate Reloading (http://www.accuratereloading.com) for a guide to fees. For a budget hunt with plenty of trigger time, have a look at some of the cull / management hunts - it's possible to shoot 20+ 'bread and butter' species like Impala, Springbok or Blesbok in a week for £1500 plus flights if you shop around. Likewise, if you want a smaller selection of better trophy animals, you can get good deals on packages of 3-5 select animals like Kudu, Hartebeast, Wildebeest etc. I think I spent £900 on trophy fees and shot Springbok x3, Blesbok x 2, Impala x 3, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Ostrich and a couple of Warthogs. Taxidermy and shipping costs are extra and can be pricey.

Get references for any outfitter and speak to previous customers. I've had a good experience of Athina Sporting and have heard good stuff about Shavesgreen Safaris and Andrew McClaren Safaris.

Whatever you budget for the first Africa trip, make sure you set some aside for the inevitable second, third and fourth trips - African hunting is addictive and gets into your blood!

If you want to hunt in South Africa, PM me and I will give you my PH's details.
    Budget is a big thing, also do you want to Trophy Hunt or do a Management Hunt like the pictures below.
    Happy to help out.

Regards

DavieH

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000062.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	432.8 KB 
ID:	17809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000066.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	17810

Much depends on what you want to hunt, for how long, management hunts, trophy hunts, proper tented hunts????

My advice is not to go for the cheapest, as usually the area is a small fenced area. Trophy unfenced hunts are not cheap, but a good mixed plains game hunt package can be had in Namibia or South Africa depending on the size of the area. Most hunts in SA for plains game are fenced, there are not that many unfenced areas left.
    I have hunted Africa 6 times with a rifle and one without, and good quality safaris with good quality trophies are never cheap. But if you want some solid contacts and no nonense prices with good trophies Pm me and I will let you have my contact details.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 30-07-2012 at 16:49.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Jollypoacher,

Hi there, just came across your message, like you me and my brother decided to stop talking about a trip to Africa and get over there last summer.
    Both of us have stalked deer before in the UK but had no overseas experience at all.

On the recommendation of a friend we contacted and arranged a trip to South Africa’s Eastern Cape through wild horizons:

http://www.wildhorizon.co.za/index.htm

This is an outfit run by Guy Swart and very ably assisted by Clint Gower. Me and Graeme (my brother) wanted to hunt various plains game, (bushbuck, impala, warthog, bushpig, black/blue wildebeest etc) and we were not disappointed in the slightest, in fact I doubt whether the trip could have been run any better.

Staying as guest at Clint and his wife Julie Anne’s farm, in the Eastern Cape we were treated with genuine warm hospitality. The hunting grounds were amazing, with one to one PH and tracker assistance all the lads being incredibly knowledgeable and were more than happy to pass that knowledge onto us, was a privilege.
    The food was fantastic and they even had a ready supply of decent beer too!

After a week we moved up to the higher ground, Bultfontein area, to stay in the game farm up there, this place is stunning, at the end of a valley filled with wildebeest, springbok, the baboons shouting at you as your trying to stalk your prey..Outstanding. Also the river running through it is full of trout and yellow fish, so you can have a chill out there to with the fly rod and a few ales.
    Again the hunting was ace, the support from Clint and the lads second to none, they worked their socks off to put us onto some good animals.

If fishing is your thing, or you fancy a go while your there then your sorted, we left the mountains and headed to the coast. Wildhorizons have a cracking fishing boat moored up and ready to go. Once we got out past the surf (Scary!) we were fishing in calm blue seas, catching loads of fish while the humpbacks whales were breaching all around us.. Seriously. Big. Animals.

If you and your dad are looking for a trip with people that are genuinely interested in making this an amazing experience at very very competitive prices then give Guy a call.
    Oh and Adamant is right, it was so good we’ve just booked another trip next summer, Kudu and Gemsbok this time (and a bit of shark fishing too)
    If you want to know anymore please drop me a pm, would be happy to help.
    Ta
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by thomps11 View Post
    Jollypoacher,

Hi there, just came across your message, like you me and my brother decided to stop talking about a trip to Africa and get over there last summer.
    Both of us have stalked deer before in the UK but had no overseas experience at all.

On the recommendation of a friend we contacted and arranged a trip to South Africa’s Eastern Cape through wild horizons:

http://www.wildhorizon.co.za/index.htm

This is an outfit run by Guy Swart and very ably assisted by Clint Gower. Me and Graeme (my brother) wanted to hunt various plains game, (bushbuck, impala, warthog, bushpig, black/blue wildebeest etc) and we were not disappointed in the slightest, in fact I doubt whether the trip could have been run any better.

Staying as guest at Clint and his wife Julie Anne’s farm, in the Eastern Cape we were treated with genuine warm hospitality. The hunting grounds were amazing, with one to one PH and tracker assistance all the lads being incredibly knowledgeable and were more than happy to pass that knowledge onto us, was a privilege.
    The food was fantastic and they even had a ready supply of decent beer too!

After a week we moved up to the higher ground, Bultfontein area, to stay in the game farm up there, this place is stunning, at the end of a valley filled with wildebeest, springbok, the baboons shouting at you as your trying to stalk your prey..Outstanding. Also the river running through it is full of trout and yellow fish, so you can have a chill out there to with the fly rod and a few ales.
    Again the hunting was ace, the support from Clint and the lads second to none, they worked their socks off to put us onto some good animals.

If fishing is your thing, or you fancy a go while your there then your sorted, we left the mountains and headed to the coast. Wildhorizons have a cracking fishing boat moored up and ready to go. Once we got out past the surf (Scary!) we were fishing in calm blue seas, catching loads of fish while the humpbacks whales were breaching all around us.. Seriously. Big. Animals.

If you and your dad are looking for a trip with people that are genuinely interested in making this an amazing experience at very very competitive prices then give Guy a call.
    Oh and Adamant is right, it was so good we’ve just booked another trip next summer, Kudu and Gemsbok this time (and a bit of shark fishing too)
    If you want to know anymore please drop me a pm, would be happy to help.
    Ta
    Steve
    Hunted with Clint a couple of years ago in Komga SA, he's a great bloke! Hoping to get back out there before too long.
    Kev.

I to have been with Guy and Clint, did a cull hunt in May this year, also managed to get a African Mcnab as well as 21 cull animals far cheaper than my previous two trips to Natal, but far exceded my expertaitions, I'm going back again next year as Guy sorts everything out for you, the farm at Bultfontein is quite remote, but very comfortable and Clint Gower is a hunting machine on two legs. My trophies come back soon, one of them a gold medal Blesbuck taken as part of the Mcnab. I can't rate this company high enough, many others from this site have been with them, thats how I found them through honest recomendations, I hunted alone, but would be more than happy to share the experiance again with others, deerwarden

Have been struggling to get a holiday booked over the Christmas and new year period.
    Been quoted 18k for a family of 4 to fly into Cape Town and do the garden route and take in a safari.

Quote Originally Posted by Jollypoacher View Post
    Hello all,

Time to stop dreaming about it and book it. Who: Trip for me and my father (35 & 65). When: 2013

Looking for where to go. What to do and what not to do.

Budget - What's a good handrail?

All advice greatfully received. Thanks
    Call David Watt on 07866 571180, he is the UK agent for Nduna Safaris in the Eastern Cape of RSA. I have hunted with them, they are a good team with loads of hunting area, and David is one of the most genuine people you will meet in the hunting business. Atb ml.