Thread: Buttalo caller

Buttalo caller

Is there a a way of tooting this thing to get consistent results,I've always had very inconsistent results with it and I've used it for over 10 years.tried it again tonite and nothing showed.

I don't think they are quite on yet Swaro mate,I was over on the Mendips the other night and although there was a slight bit of interest they weren't proper having it.It can change by the day,but my guess is the weekend or early next week especially if this sultry weather keeps up,try this video bud...........

I've seen the clip before,I was out one eve and crawled through this hedge which is best route in and I spooked a buck and 4 doe's,they ran opprox 600yds,a few toots and the buck came bounding back,its different seeing them and calling,it's when you haven't seen any and you toot,they always seen to come in the wrong direction after positioning yourself in what you think would be best spot to wait

Went out last eve,put myself in a position I knew a buck would show close up,5 yards away,closer than I expected ,he wouldn't look away for me to raise the rifle,tried and he ran off and wouldn't come back,I kept the calling going and mr fox must have been curious and did the same,he too saw me and got back into cover,10 mins later he came out again,rip Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Is there a a way of tooting this thing to get consistent results,I've always had very inconsistent results with it and I've used it for over 10 years.tried it again tonite and nothing showed.

Your maybe not blowing into it hard enough,and to get best results you have to use it much like a trombone.Practice it like that,post a clip and we will see where you are going wrong.

seems a bit hit and miss at the moment. tried calling two bucks I saw in thick cover this weekend they were just not interestd. then a third completely blind it came running at me from thick cover over my left shoulder I had no chance to turn and shoot before it ran off back into cover where it spent the next five minutes barking it's head off.
    Wingy

Even a bad caller will entice a roe when they are bang on mate but as yet they arnt interested around me .The trick when calling is to move your rifle when they move ie when they are coming in not wait until they are on you and stood still as movement is easily detected .NEVER peep when they are at close range and fixed on your position ,better to keep him guessing so that he may move into a more shootable position .This week will, im sure ,see the start of the rut proper.

Mixed results at the mo over the weekend , four stalks and called does alot and some bucks though Saturday night called four from one spot. I wouldn't say we're at the peak time yet though saw some rutting. We need some more warm weather and it will kick of properly.

Quote Originally Posted by foxdropper View Post
    Even a bad caller will entice a roe when they are bang on mate but as yet they arnt interested around me .The trick when calling is to move your rifle when they move ie when they are coming in not wait until they are on you and stood still as movement is easily detected .NEVER peep when they are at close range and fixed on your position ,better to keep him guessing so that he may move into a more shootable position .This week will, im sure ,see the start of the rut proper.
    Old chap told me to get the rifle on the sticks ready before u call ... No movement required should a buck come !
    norma

me and another stalker from here were out on wed last week he demonstrated how the caller work we were lied on a hills side looking at the wood where we thought they were going to come from.when a young buck walked up behind us it stopped about 7 yrds away and looked at us dont know who was more surprised lol mental note be ready and look all round lol