Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First batch of Biltong!

First batch of Biltong!

Here is a pic regarding my first batch of Biltong iv'e made using a "turbo dryer" i aquired off ebay. The smell is awsome and looks good so far! Brings back memories of my trips to South Africa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	17801

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Here is a pic regarding my first batch of Biltong iv'e made using a "turbo dryer" i aquired off ebay. The smell is awsome and looks good so far! Brings back memories of my trips to South Africa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	17801
    Nothing like sitting on top of a koppe watching all the game about you and eating biltong,pure magic.

DavieH

Can almost smell it from down here.....spent a lot of time over in Africa when i was younger, have never found any over here that tastes half as good! Hope your attempt turns out well.....

Regards,

SS
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

ok, what is biltong? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    ok, what is biltong? LOL
    Dried, usually Air Dried meat from the likes of Springbok,Blesbok, Impala then cut wafer thin.

Davie

Quote Originally Posted by DavieH View Post
    Dried, usually Air Dried meat from the likes of Springbok,Blesbok, Impala then cut wafer thin.

Davie
    Biltong is a kind of cured meat that originated in South Africa. Many different types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef through game meats as Dave says above. I have used a Sika haunch to make mine, hopefully be good! Very adictive once you start eating it, you can't stop. It should be ready tomorrow 3-5 days in dryer, i like mines soft so try some tomorrow.

Num Num!!

Looks great! What did you season it with?

My last batch of Biltong was Muntjac and very tasty too!

I use a home made box, mad eout of wood with a light bulb in the bottom. Salted and vinigered with apple cider vinegar at the start to draw out excess water, washed in more apple cider vinegar and seasoned with brown sugar (to soften), coriander and a little black pepper! Very very tasty! Hope your first attempt works well! Well worth the work. Mine usually dried within 3 days.

This spice mix from Scobies works very well!
    http://www.scobiesdirect.com/iteminf...ItemNo=DSBS001
    I use it after a quick soak in Red wine Vinegar and the results are fantastic!
    Muntjac or Roe loin fillet sliced lengthways into two strips about 1/2" thick is out of this world - in fact, 3 South African friends tried it and said it was the best and tenderest biltong they had ever tasted!
    MS