Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching a speeding bullet

Watching a speeding bullet

Last night we managed to catch up with a rather difficult fox which was on a field of cut grass next to one of our free range chicken units. He had given us the slip on two previuos nights and also earlier in the evening. Anyway on the second visit he was out in the middle so mate on roof and me lamping out of the driver window. All I see is a silver dot streak to the fox at a most incridible speed and fox lights go out, then I hear the strike and report.

Its the second time I have seen this but remarkable to be able to see a 6mm bullet doing 3,300 fps on its way to the target ( approx 150 yds). Also shows how fast the human brain can process light from a very small object moving so quickly.

Just got to account for his pal who didn't hang round.

D

I am pretty sure what you are seeing is the air turbulence rather than the bullet.

May not have been turbulence - we can see bullets in flight if they're continuously and brightly lit (this is why tracer works). So if the angle from the lamp is such that the bullet is reflecting at you for much of its path, you would expect to see it (I think).

The reason you see a tracer round is because it's burning! You can however sometimes watch the swirl of air disturbance if you are directly behind the bullet.

Am sure its the base of the bullet reflecting back the light, just happens that the trajectory and light anges coincide. Only seen it a couple of times before and my son who was in the back seat also saw it, the bullet seems to move so quickly but you can clearly see it. Charlie didn't!!!

D

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    The reason you see a tracer round is because it's burning! You can however sometimes watch the swirl of air disturbance if you are directly behind the bullet.
    Exactly - tracer bullet produces a bright light for much of its flight. Same as the lamp reflecting off the base/jacket of a bullet (in this case, the bullet isn't producing its own light, it's just reflecting the lamp back at you).

I know it's not centrefire but I have often seen 22LR bullets not only in flight but actually passing through rabbits and out the other side. This happens only when lamping with a good lamp and the lamper standing behind and slightly to one side of the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    I am pretty sure what you are seeing is the air turbulence rather than the bullet.

+1 Turbulence in the bullets wake.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

I have seen bullets before especially when you are directly behind the shooter and it is at long range.
    turbulence is only visible when there is enough humidity or particulate matter in the air to show the movement.

its a different vision.

try standing behind someone on a 600 yd range using stalking velocity handloads.
    very easy to see on a clear bright day

Defo see the bullets in the lamp light