Thread: not the sharpest fox in the world

not the sharpest fox in the world

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-24 20.57.05.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	17822

couldn't believe this one!
    my buddy & i were out testing some new loads for our 243's the other evening, we had shot around a dozen rounds each over an hour or so. the light was just fading enough for the chrono to start playing up: so we ambled over to the target to have a look at my mates latest group.. whilst we were discussing things i noticed over my mates shoulder in the next field there was a fox trotting around.... we looked at each other then looked at our shooters that were a 100yds away on the top of a slight brow...
    we just had to go for it! my lurcher could tell from our change of attitude that something was going down...
    we kept a close eye on charlie and as we got around 20yds from the shooters a cow decided to chase the fox around a bit: we made the most of the opportunity to get into position... luckily I brought a few of my tried & tested loads with me & as my mates groups didn't seem that good that evening I decided to go for it
    by the time i had stuck a round in & my mate grabbed hold of my dog the fox had walked into an unsafe position
    so we gave him a little squeak & he came running... totally committed! a little too committed: he was going to disappear behind a hedge.. so my buddy gave him a shout to stop him which worked a treat! he was in the crosshairs ready & waiting only problem was the dog had slipped my mates grasp & was on her way like an missile across the field..I knew that she would have to negotiate the difficult hedge which was in the dip between us... this could just give me a chance! I tracked the fox in the scope as he made his way across the opposite side of the field... he stopped for one last look...as soon as he did it ended it up being his last ever!! 279yds
    what was he thinking with us testing in the next field??

Well done! Being a scientifically-qualified sort of chap, I can say with total confidence that in my professional opinion that fox is not very well...

I had two cubs run out to my caller at last light yesterday - unfortunately one of them scented the caller and made it back to cover before I could drop it. The other was not so lucky. That makes it 15 foxes since Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by soother223 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-24 20.57.05.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	17822

couldn't believe this one!
    my buddy & i were out testing some new loads for our 243's the other evening, we had shot around a dozen rounds each over an hour or so. the light was just fading enough for the chrono to start playing up: so we ambled over to the target to have a look at my mates latest group.. whilst we were discussing things i noticed over my mates shoulder in the next field there was a fox trotting around.... we looked at each other then looked at our shooters that were a 100yds away on the top of a slight brow...
    we just had to go for it! my lurcher could tell from our change of attitude that something was going down...
    we kept a close eye on charlie and as we got around 20yds from the shooters a cow decided to chase the fox around a bit: we made the most of the opportunity to get into position... luckily I brought a few of my tried & tested loads with me & as my mates groups didn't seem that good that evening I decided to go for it
    by the time i had stuck a round in & my mate grabbed hold of my dog the fox had walked into an unsafe position
    so we gave him a little squeak & he came running... totally committed! a little too committed: he was going to disappear behind a hedge.. so my buddy gave him a shout to stop him which worked a treat! he was in the crosshairs ready & waiting only problem was the dog had slipped my mates grasp & was on her way like an missile across the field..I knew that she would have to negotiate the difficult hedge which was in the dip between us... this could just give me a chance! I tracked the fox in the scope as he made his way across the opposite side of the field... he stopped for one last look...as soon as he did it ended it up being his last ever!! 279yds
    what was he thinking with us testing in the next field??

good that you shot it mate you do realise that you cant set your dog on foxes had this out with the local plod if your dog runs after a fox chases a fox kills a fox even if it was not set on the fox you can be done for not being in control of the dog hunting with hounds was banned yes i know that officer but the dog cant read now im in scotland dont know how the law is down there bud just giving you the heads up just in case big brother is vewing

A good tale... but your fox wasn't as daft as the one that trotted over to check out a target I had just finished zeroing on (possibly because it had a life-size colour picture of a fox on it)!