Improvement to laser rangefinder with home made eye cup

Alantoo

I was unable to find any replacements for the perished eye cups for my mum's old binoculars so ended up making some.

They worked out okay and while making them I realised that I could improve my rangefinder with one.
DSC00404.JPGView attachment 17867
A great improvement, you can use it one handed now. Before it was a bit wobbly and really needed two hands to keep it steady to your eye. One handed I can now hold it on a 200 metre telephone pole reasonably well.

The rubber section I used is a sqeegee refill rubber from Screwfix, the round edge makes for comfort. I superglued it to an O ring which grips behind the standard eyepiece.

As far as I can see all the rangefinders of this configuration would be improved with one.

The only disadvantage found so far is the holster flap is now a bit tight!

Hope this helps someone else. If you find a better source of rubber extrusion please let me know.

Last edited:
Very helpful indeed, just the sort of thing I need for an old Hertel eyepiece which has broken, I've sent you a pm to clarify something, thanks for posting

Very helpful indeed, just the sort of thing I need for an old Hertel eyepiece which has broken, I've sent you a pm to clarify something, thanks for posting

tuck1 said:
Hi Alan

Thanks for the post you've made about replacements eyepieces for binoculars, I wonder if I could pick your brains?

Ive got an old Hertel and Reuss draw scope and the eyepiece I see damaged. I've cobbled the old one together using a strip of inner tube, but your solution looks much better. The eyepiece is held on by a lip, do you think it would be feasible using your method to fit an o ring and then slide the squeegee rubber over it and glue it in place. I'm trying to see what you've done but am struggling from the pictures.

best regards

Adrian

Yes I think so. I must admit I can't remember exactly how I went about it now...I did it a few years ago! I think my original post is from 2012.

I found or made an O ring to locate in the groove/space behind the eyepiece and then glued the new rubber eye cup onto the O ring. It just pops off if you need but has never come off accidentally.

The O ring forms the locating lip you mention.

The binocular ones are just held on by tension...the new eye cups get a grip in the eye piece grooves and have not moved.

I will add this exchange to the thread in case it is useful to anybody else...

Best wishes, Alan

Last edited:
Saw this yesterday, and tried finding it on the Screwfix website, with no luck. Didn't notice the thread was over four years old !!! :doh:

Look Harder! Under window cleaning.

They still have it available...bottom left item on page 619 of their Autumn catalogue, item code 3080, 41" spare rubber, £3.99

or here on their website...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unger-replacement-rubber-41/38030

If they ever did stop selling the refills it would not break the bank to buy one of the squeegees and throw away the handle!

Alan

Last edited:
Look Harder! Under window cleaning.

They still have it available...bottom left item on page 619 of their Autumn catalogue, item code 3080, 41" spare rubber, £3.99

or here on their website...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unger-replacement-rubber-41/38030

If they ever did stop selling the refills it would not break the bank to buy one of the squeegees and throw away the handle!

Alan

LMFAO........................... MATE, I'm looking for something 1" LONG............. not expecting to see a bloody 41" hose :rofl:

Back