Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: recommend me a fleece

recommend me a fleece

hi guys , my favorite feece has just given up on me after 12 years faithfull service, i am looking for something not too bulky but warm , something i can wear over a t shirt and under a jacket when up a high seat on a febuary morning,,

your thoughts please

Any of the cragghopper micro fleece range are good. I wear them with just a t shirt underneath through the winter months

spelling

I think with fleeces they all seem to be very similar it is just that you pay a lot of cash for the big names. I have a Simms that I bought 20 years ago and it was one of the first windproof fleeces available and it is still working well for me and I have a more recently Harkila windproof one that I bought as an end of range offer and it is fine. However, I also have some cheap no-name ones that are as good (though without the windproofing) and they cost very little.

I think John Norris often has good deals on that sort of thing and they also do their own brand fleeces at a very good price for 3 of them. If I wasn't looking windproof etc. then that is probably the route I'd go.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Fleece, Nomad, 100% waterproof.

Have a look at Keela. Think its the Genesis ( could be wrong ).

Dont hear a lot about Keela outside Mountain Rescue types, but good stuff and Scottish!

Caspar over at Nordic Outdoor ( Light My Fire etc Edinburgh ) had some at Scone - so likely still has some!

I believe Keela Factory shop still going as well.

Failing that, the Fleece you get with the Jahkti Jakt ( spelling? ) sets is pretty darn good too.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I think with fleeces they all seem to be very similar it is just that you pay a lot of cash for the big names.
    I disagree there. Cheap ones never seem as warm, they go bobbly very fast. I have been very much more impressed by better quality ones. If just using as a mid layer the cheap one may be ok

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/...acket/product/ had mine about seven years, very impressed with it. still as waterproof and windproof as the day i got it. noiseless and comfortable......

Regards, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Have a look at Keela. Think its the Genesis ( could be wrong ).

Dont hear a lot about Keela outside Mountain Rescue types, but good stuff and Scottish!

Caspar over at Nordic Outdoor ( Light My Fire etc Edinburgh ) had some at Scone - so likely still has some!

I believe Keela Factory shop still going as well.

Failing that, the Fleece you get with the Jahkti Jakt ( spelling? ) sets is pretty darn good too.
    +1 on Keela.

Not only windproof but it has a waterproof membrane as well. They also have a popper-on hood which makes for an excellent all-rounder. A zipped inside breast pocket and a zipped bum pouch which I use to store the hood...its' loveliness goes on and on ahuh ahah!

I also have another slightly thicker but softer fleece made by Wynnster which also has a wind and waterproof membrane. I wore the first one of those daily dog walking for 7 years before the zip went and another 3years with a safety pin in the winter. Still use it winter mornings in the forge now...though it does not like grinding and welding sparks or the Dragon's Breath from the furnace!

Hardly wear anything else. In prolonged rain the outer fleece layer can't dry out and then it runs onto your legs just like any other waterproof jacket, but you do get a bit of a delay. But they do dry out between even heavy showers so often you can get away without leggings/overtrousers.

Both have a RRP of around 60 pounds but I have find both on offer (ebay) at half that.

Try Rohan, they have a sale on at the moment. The Furnace fleece is reduced from 50 to 40 pounds. I have one in green but they only have black in the sale, ok if you wear it under a jacket. Rohan is great kit, fantastic quality and last's forever.