Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft Point or Ballistic Tip

Soft Point or Ballistic Tip

I hear a lot of people are using BT for deer, but I don't really understand the logic unless they're using them on close range deer for neck or head shots...?

BT's don't penetrate anywhere near as far as soft points but obviously transfer more energy as they shatter; soft points deform and can shatter but it's mainly the vortex created by the passage of the bullet that creates the damage - I remember a film made by Norma Ammo where they show the effects and what the ammo is intended for: BT's for neck or head shots at close range, or smaller long range quarry; SP's for H&L shots or neck/head shots at longer ranges.

I use soft points for deer (so far so good), and BT's for fox (again so far so good)...

I've heard people on this forum talking about BT's exploding on the surface and doing no good - so why use them at all on deer unless it's neck or head shots (which obviously they're ideal for at the right ranges as they shatter and make the round more lethal even if it's a little off)?

I was under the impression (correct me if i'm wrong), that there are some ballistic tips designed to expend prdictably (much like SP bullets) which may be suitable for Deer and other BT bullets which expend explosively which would not generally be suitable for Deer (although great for fox etc). Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I hear a lot of people are using BT for deer, but I don't really understand the logic unless they're using them on close range deer for neck or head shots...?

BT's don't penetrate anywhere near as far as soft points but obviously transfer more energy as they shatter; soft points deform and can shatter but it's mainly the vortex created by the passage of the bullet that creates the damage - I remember a film made by Norma Ammo where they show the effects and what the ammo is intended for: BT's for neck or head shots at close range, or smaller long range quarry; SP's for H&L shots or neck/head shots at longer ranges.

I use soft points for deer (so far so good), and BT's for fox (again so far so good)...

I've heard people on this forum talking about BT's exploding on the surface and doing no good - so why use them at all on deer unless it's neck or head shots (which obviously they're ideal for at the right ranges as they shatter and make the round more lethal even if it's a little off)?

This is going to be an interesting thread
    Are you refering to hunting B/T's or varmint B/T's? Ive never had a hunting B/tip fail to exit, Ive never used v/max or the like. Ive used SST's and Nosler B/Tips in 243 and 25-06. Ive also used SP's in both and found deer travelled farther before dropping..

Nutty

Quite obvious by your post that you know sweet FA about shooting deer with a proper designed for deer BT. Go out and shoot a couple of hundred with something like a SST then come back and you will know the answer, for feck sake the only difference between a BT and a soft point is they stick a bit of plastic on the end. This does not turn it into an explosive head.

ATB

Tahr

I stopped using btip as the fragments were bloody everywhere. They dont half drop deer but they can make some mess. Soft points are great but not as confident in them shot from the 22/250. This is the reason I stepped upto soft point 63grn sierras. I was using the .308 with 150 sp sierra game kings on roe and they were doing less damage than Hornady btips 55grn. Btips are great if your not that bothered about meat damage and they certainly kick arse but the multiple exit wounds worry me a bit. One big hole with minimum damage does fine. sorry if people dont agree this is just my experience cheers Hootsman

I have shot over 5000 deer with BT's mostly at ranges between 100-300m and have recovered 5 or 6 that didn't exit I have also used 70 gr BT's for chest shooting large deer and have always got an exit with them.

All the deer Ive shot with btips have exit wounds. I have chest shots with exits in the chest and towards the back end. The bullets can break up a bit and the exit isnt always where you would think it would be. they are great for blood trails aswell. my minds made up at the moment and Iam sticking to sps until I find a reason to change

Nowt wrong with BT's if you use the correct one.
    I don't shoot hundreds of deer per year, just dozens, and I mainly use Nosler BT's in 150 from my .308 and I've never had problems with failure to exit or such
    Even punching through a shoulder of a fallow is no problem.
    I have had soft points come apart in flight, but that wouldn't put me off them.
    I don't understand why rumours and misconceptions put people off proper hunting BT's like those form Nosler or Hornady.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

True Geoshot. I think its a case of try them for yourself and see if they work for you. I changed due to the damage and if I was a better shot I would shoot them in the neck and I wouldnt want to change. I go for the engine room for most of my shots cheers Hootsman

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Quite obvious by your post that you know sweet FA about shooting deer with a proper designed for deer BT. Go out and shoot a couple of hundred with something like a SST then come back and you will know the answer, for feck sake the only difference between a BT and a soft point is they stick a bit of plastic on the end. This does not turn it into an explosive head.

ATB

Tahr
    i have often pondered the same question as i am just starting out stalking and this type of offensive reply is exactly why some people hesitate to ask genuine questions in the thirst for knowledge and concern for the welfare of quarry species