Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 for Deer & Boar?

7mm-08 for Deer & Boar?

Hi all, I currently have a .243 but am just in the process of getting my variation through for a long range deer & close range boar calibre (having just joined a syndicate).

I had decided on a .308 over a 30-06, for no other reason than the ammo is easier to get here and I hear the recoil is less. I also have plenty of experience shooting .308 at Bisley but none with 30-06.

In my search for an answer on the .308 vs. 30-06 I noticed a lot of people saying the 7mm-08 was a good option as recoil was the same as a .243 but it was flatter than a 30-06 and as hard hitting as a .308... checking this on ballistics software appeared to be true, though frankly there's not a lot in the ballistics as they're all much-of-a-much as far as I can tell!

The 7mm-08 seems to me to be a good choice for the longer shots on Red's I need it for (please let me know if you don't think so), just wondered if anyone had shot a Boar with one and what the performance was like? I was reccomended as 7mm as a minimum for Boar...?

Here's a table to ponder.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
    The last time I was contemplating buying another rifle, I subscribed to Chuck's site for a month and read up on what I was interested in. You may not agree with all that he writes, but he's looking at each rifle from the same perspective.
    Good luck. JCS

I shoot 7mm08 and have done for a couple of years now. Cant really fault it. Its ballistically better than a .308 and kicks less, cant see it being flatter than a .30-06 though with the same weight bullet. The problems you have if you want a boar gun for france etc is that both .308 and .30-06 are illegal in France.

I use my 7-08 for everything from rabbits to red stags, it does the job admirably. reloading components are easy to get, factory ammo is available and it is a great long range calibre out to 800yds ish depending on bullets etc.

I am loving the fact the so called "heavy recoil" .270 is lower down the scale than the .308!

I wonder where that came from - never shot a .270 but everyone I know who has say the recoil thing is a myth! Have people in the past perhaps compared it to the .243, or a rimfire?! :P

I had the same dilemma and settled on a 7-08, I am sure that it would be fine for boar, however finding bullets heavier than 140gn won't be easy unless you home load in which case you can go up to 160. You will et a much bigger ammo choice with the 308 though. The 7-08 will be fine for me however, another reason I chose the 7-08 was that when trying to acquire new land owners who are fussy about calibers have never heard of a 7-08, and it doesn't sound big. Some people start sucking their teeth when a 308 is mentioned, you can just say that your 7-08 is basically a 243 with a slightly fatter bullet. so is the 308 LOL but they don't need to know that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    I had the same dilemma and settled on a 7-08, I am sure that it would be fine for boar, however finding bullets heavier than 140gn won't be easy unless you home load in which case you can go up to 160. You will et a much bigger ammo choice with the 308 though. The 7-08 will be fine for me however, another reason I chose the 7-08 was that when trying to acquire new land owners who are fussy about calibers have never heard of a 7-08, and it doesn't sound big. Some people start sucking their teeth when a 308 is mentioned, you can just say that your 7-08 is basically a 243 with a slightly fatter bullet. so is the 308 LOL but they don't need to know that...
    I believe that Hornady and others still make 175 grn bullets for the 7mm. I have several boxes of them.~Muir

I have some partitions in 175gr I think in 7mm
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Hi

The answer in my own experience, is that the 7-08 kills boar very effectively, the ones that I have shot could not have told the difference between the bullet that struck them and a .308 or a .270 or any other damn thing, they just died, very quickly. I have used Federal factory 150Gn Powershocks, and home loaded 150Gn Partitions, equally effectively.

The only comment I'd make about the .270 recoil myth, is that for me I don't care for the .270 when shooting at the range for zeroing and/or load development, I emphasise that for me the perceived recoil is sharper and therefore more noticeable than the 7-08, and if you want something smoother than the 7-08 then go for a 7x57, which is to all intents and purposes the "Ballistic Twin" of the 7-08, and which will kill anything on the Planet and has done for 130 years.

Please; no incoming from the 270 Brigade, this is simply my own perception and experience.

ATB

After doing a lot of reading over a long time, I've certainly decided to go for a 7mm-08 when I have my FAC, precisely for the above reasons. I need something I can use in France, and I'll primarily be doing woodland stalking in the UK. As I plan to buy a Steyr-Mannlicher stutzen with a shortish 20" barrel, a .270 would be wasted, a .243 would be underpowered, so 7mm-08 it is. I'm not planning on buying a load of rifles, so I need one that I'm happy with for everything.