Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accepted range for. 22 bunny bashing.

Accepted range for. 22 bunny bashing.

A lot of posts seem to imply that the maximum range for bunny bashing with a 22 rimmy is 75 yards or less. I regularly kill rabbits at ranges in excess of 100meters with mine, who else does the same, if anyone?

accepted range is operator specific not calibre or quarry specific

not regularly over 100 but 80-100 is quite common myself

No reason you shouldn't go out further if you know what your rifle does.
    An SCB/mildot style reticle with a parallax adjuster which you can use to range-find is also helpful. Once you know how your chosen set-up performs at various ranges, and you can predict the range accurately, there is no reason why you shouldn't shoot out further. It certainly has the energy at range to kill a bunny!.
    MS

using a milldot scope have shot out to 150 (engine room not head - and it was highly effective) - but conditions were perfect and I knew the distance (same bit of ground I use as a range every now and then), have lamped at 100, again knew the range.

In the main it's about 40m - because that's what the ground dictates; if the ground the ground required me to shoot further I probably would - but i might be tempted ot use the .223 if that was the case (over 100m) - lot of money to shoot a bunny though.
    Last edited by OSS32; 30-07-2012 at 13:40.

usually within 75yds or so, but range has never stopped me having a whack at crows, magpies, rooks and rabbits even out to 200yds...never hit them at that range though

I'm finding that 50 - 60 yards is fine. So far haven't needed to shoot any further than that at bunnies. Just set myself up about that distance from a warren, and spend the evening picking off as they emerge.
    However, I'm in no doubt about the capabilities of the .22 to deal with small quarry at much greater ranges, but this would require much more skill than I've got at estimating range etc etc. With practice and more experience I'm expecting to be able to take it out to 80 - 100 yards, but beyond that I can't see much point. I'd rather just get closer to the quarry, than mess up a shot because it was beyond my capabilities.

127yds is furthest head shot bunny, starting to run out of mill dots any further. Mine is zeroed at 50yds and i have a complete tragectory chart laminated and stuck to the side of the stock. 100yds eley sub drops 7.2", that effectively equates to 2 mil dots. Incidentally the average length of a rabbits ears is 3.5", so can use that to range if need be.

My kids can shoot tangerine sized targets at 100yds all day off a bipod (Annie XIV carbine).

Shot a fox at the weekend at 87yds whilst staying at friends, nice rested shot out of the bedroom window. Helped to have geovids and nice side on chest shot, annie is capable of better accuracy than its shooter before I am subject to much ridicule.

D

once shot a bunny of bean canes at 110yds paced out.
    2.5 ear lengths holdover, i concur on the purpose built holdover gauges that bunnies have!

I put a 3ft target up once and shot "groups" at 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150.

it was a bit breezy but the drops after 100 were quite large, IRC 150yds (actually closer to 140) was about 18" and wind drift on that about 6"

get plinking and get used to range finder with the mark one eyeball and it will do a lot more than you expect
    Last edited by bewsher500; 02-08-2012 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I'm finding that 50 - 60 yards is fine. So far haven't needed to shoot any further than that at bunnies. Just set myself up about that distance from a warren, and spend the evening picking off as they emerge.
    However, I'm in no doubt about the capabilities of the .22 to deal with small quarry at much greater ranges, but this would require much more skill than I've got at estimating range etc etc. With practice and more experience I'm expecting to be able to take it out to 80 - 100 yards, but beyond that I can't see much point. I'd rather just get closer to the quarry, than mess up a shot because it was beyond my capabilities.
    VSS well scripted and it shows your approach to our sport is the correct one. Your post on this thread is the only decent reply. To many on here seem to think that the further away you shoot something and brag about it the better the come over. But all it tells responcible shooters is they have no field craft or respect for the quarry they shoot at as, if they had then posts like these would stop.

Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbo 30 06; 31-07-2012 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo 30 06 View Post
    VSS well scripted and it shows your approach to our sport is the correct one. Your post on this thread is the only decent reply. To many on here seem to think that the further away you shoot something and brag about it the better the come over. But all it tells responcible shooters is they have no field craft or respect for there quarry as, if they had then posts like these would stop.

Jimbo
    without feeling the need to defend my posts I have to disagree.
    shooting rabbits at 100yds with a .22 shows no less respect than say.... shooting a stag at 280 yds, or with a .243 or with a ballistic tip. people may disagree with any of these.

if you are anyone else is not comfortable with any particular practice or range then the simple answer is dont do it.
    To criticise perfectly simple answers to a straight forward question without knowledge of a) the shooter b) the conditions and c) the knowledge that person has of his rifle is misguided. There is no bragging implied.

people will criticise longer shots as lacking field craft.
    Those people havent shot the golf courses that I shoot!

Better the OP goes out and tests his rifle like I tested mine so if he does have a runner, or injured rabbit and it gets to a distance he would not normally shoot he knows he can hit it.

what would you rather? everyone buys an HMR if they want to shoot past 50-60yds?