Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .222 legal for roe in Scotland?

.222 legal for roe in Scotland?

Probably a very stupid question: am I right in thinking that .222 is legal for roe in Scotland?

I had thought so, but have just read a few things that made me doubt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Probably a very stupid question: am I right in thinking that .222 is legal for roe in Scotland?

Yes legal, and not only that very well thought of on roe along with its stable mate the .223
    Last edited by Cadex; 30-07-2012 at 16:36.

Great - I thought so.

Never trust what you read on the internet!

So - variation for a .222 going in soon. Used it a lot in South Africa on steenbok and springbok - really rate it. Any suggestions for a make/model to look out for here?

222 Is legal to shoot Roe in Scotland what made you think not.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    Yes legal, and not only that very well thought of along with its stable mate the .223
    And your old .223, (The Howa), (My stopgap while getting a rebarrel), is doing sterling service with Fenlander, on munties etc according to the man!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Deer Scotland Order does not state a minimum calibre of rifle for shooting roe deer. It stipulates a bullet weight of at least 50 grains of expanding ammunition and a minimum MV of 1700.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

Mungo, yes you can use a .222, Scottish law: for Roe Deer only. you MUST use a bullet of a weight no less than 50 grains, which will deform in a predictable manner (soft point), with a muzzle energy of 1,000 ft lbs, and muzzle velocity of not less than 2,450 feet per second Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    And your old .223, (The Howa), (My stopgap while getting a rebarrel), is doing sterling service with Fenlander, on munties etc according to the man!
    I wish I had never sold that .223 . . . . . . .I get regular pangs for another 223 or 222

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    and your old .223, (the howa), (my stopgap while getting a rebarrel), is doing sterling service with fenlander, on munties etc:-d according to the man!
    do what finn did and get a .223 with a 1 in 8 twist [if i am right] you can use heavier rounds.then again i got rid of my .223 for a 22.250. And gone loud and proud lol.
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous Osprey View Post
    Deer Scotland Order does not state a minimum calibre of rifle for shooting roe deer. It stipulates a bullet weight of at least 50 grains of expanding ammunition and a minimum MV of 1700.
    See, this is where I started to get confused. The wording I've seen states 50 grain bullet, muzzle velocity of 2450 feet per second and muzzle energy of 1750 foot pounds. And my understanding of .222 ballistics was that thier muzzle energy was around 1100 ft. lbs.

Am I missing something?