Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian May in LACS interview on Badger Culling

Brian May in LACS interview on Badger Culling

For those of you that want to add your opinion on the latest Lacs publicity stunt here is the link,

With grey bushy hair and big black eyebrows wouldnt you be worried about a badger cull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    For those of you that want to add your opinion on the latest Lacs publicity stunt here is the link,

What Brian May actually knows about Badgers you could write on the back of a stamp. That fact that he said a badger cull wouldn't work - but offers no real reason as to why, then tells the interviewer that we are already in a cull is near laughable (again no evidence to support).

I think if Natural England / Defra etc and the leading wildlife professors in the country agree that there could be a 16% reduction in TB cases in cattle, I wonder what that actual equates to in number of cattle (and more to the point the value?). Because, badgers aside isn't that what this is all about?!

I don't mind hearing people's opinions on such matters after all, we have got things wrong before (deer culls on some National trust ground) but substantiate your opinion with fact otherwise you are just plucking figures from the air mr May!

T

Quote Originally Posted by High seat View Post
    With grey bushy hair and big black eyebrows wouldnt you be worried about a badger cull.

Great observation

@ 1.47 Badgers being shot and gassed then thrown on the road to make it look like road kill !!!! is he havin a laugh ? what total b******t!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    @ 1.47 Badgers being shot and gassed then thrown on the road to make it look like road kill !!!! is he havin a laugh ? what total b******t!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really like and respect Mr may, But Brian, please stick to what you know. (Astro physics works just as well in the town). I believe what Brian is mistakenly refering to (anecdotally) is the disposal of the desperately unfortunate badgers dug out and killed, forced to fight dogs for sport in some of our less enlightend TOWNS AND CITIES. I spent 12 years driving 30 miles each way to work between home and West Bromwich, jesus I have never seen so many unlucky road victims in all of my life.

This road kill thing is absolute b*****cks . I live in an area where there is no major pressure to kill badgers yet you'll see hundreds on the roads. They are virtually suicidal and what these idotiots are forgetting is that thier numbers have exploded certainly around here.I have run over a few myself . This is not scientific but Lets say for example I have run over conservatively one every two years , you multiply that by every local driver (0.5 badgers per year/driver) that will acount for a vast amount of visible road kill.
    The other thing I don't get is if someone had killed a badger (and god knows how you get a gassed one out !) why they would bother putting it in the truck and chucking it out on the road! Absolute madness.

Over the years I have certainly hit cats a dog badgers foxes loads of rabbits and some hares. That is just me. factor in the other numbers of cars on the road, provides the reason. Simples
    It's accuracy that kills.

We have all seen the explosion in raptors, red kites, buzzards; scavengers like C Crows, Magpies. For them to survive they need a food source, whether in the countryside or town. A major food source is road kill, either on the road or in the magins, where a lot crawl to breath their last after a metalic encounter. No surprises about the rise of road kill. It all stacks up. If we can reduce bovine TB by even 10% it becomes necessary part of control.
    It's accuracy that kills.

"A 16% reduction is a paltry amount" says Mr May.

Ok, DEFRA figures record 12227 cattle culled in the first four months of 2012.

So, a 16% reduction would mean 1957 fewer cattle culled.

Or look at it a different way. In the same period, 1984 herds were affected by TB. A 16% reduction would mean 317 fewer farmers have the horrendous stress of losing cattle to this horrible disease.

Now tell me again how 16% is negligible Mr May!

Typical LACS tactics. Ignore the facts and go for the emotional response.

"Badgers are being killed by those nasty farmers and shooters, and they're dumping them on the roads."

Aside from the fact that it would be nonsensical to do that (chucked in a hedge would be a far more sensible approach if you didn't want to be discovered) where is there evidence? Have they taken badgers found on the road and carried out post-mortem examinations to determine cause of death? Where is this information if they have?

"It's a culling scheme which CANNOT work"

eh?

Except for the 16% reduction in TB that you talk about Mr May. I'd say that is it working.

"Vaccination is the way forward"

NO, vaccination is an important PART of the solution, but it will not work on it's own. By his own admission we HAVE to solve the BTB problem, so surely by that argument all and any actions which can decrease infection rates should, nay MUST, be used? By his own admission culling could occasion a 16% reduction, so by his argument we are morally bound to use it as part of our TB control program.

Of course "16% is a figure plucked out of the air, and actually the cull will increase the incidence"

Again, evidence? The 16% decrease is predicated over a well understood model. The models that give an increase rely on certain assumptions which have, to my knowledge, never been substantiated. Mainly "if you kill badgers in an area, other, possibly TB infected badgers will move in to fill the gap".

Interesting theory, where's your proof? You can't attack the argument FOR on the grounds of it being un-evidenced, with "facts" that are equally un-evidenced, or in this case have far less evidence to support them.