Thread: Roe,cwd,muntjac

Roe,cwd,muntjac

I'm considering a trip from the U.S. and would like to take roe,cwd,and muntjac. Is it possible to hunt the 3 on 1 trip? Not being familiar with the best time of year for each what would you recommend? How many days would you plan to hunt for that? I can't really afford to make the trip more than once and would like a good representative head of each. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Lance, i dont have cwd or munties, but i do have access to red,fallow and roe.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Southwesthunter View Post
    I'm considering a trip from the U.S. and would like to take roe,cwd,and muntjac. Is it possible to hunt the 3 on 1 trip? Not being familiar with the best time of year for each what would you recommend? How many days would you plan to hunt for that? I can't really afford to make the trip more than once and would like a good representative head of each. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    You would be able to shoot roe, muntjac and CWD all at the same time in the same area. Best place will probably be Norfolk.

Your problem will be as the roe buck season finishes on 31st October and the CWD season starts on 1st November. There is no season for muntjac but most muntjac bucks will be in hard antler in November.

You could book some dates that span from around 28th October to 5th November. So you could legally shoot all 3 bucks, but roe bucks will be casting their antlers towards the end of the season, especially the ones with good representative heads. It is not unknown to shoot a roe buck at the tail end of the season and get up to the animal and the antlers fall off.

So it would be hard to do all 3 unless anyone else has a better suggestion.

Cheers

Ross

I used to run a Mini 3 hunt some years back for American clients. Last guy I had over to complete all 3 was called Don Usak. The only time you could reasonably expect to succeed was late September. However this is not possible in one trip now because the government have put a season on CWD and therefore this does not correspond with the Roe Buck season.

However you could take both Muntjac and CWD on the same trip, and I would advise you to come over in mid December. The cover is off by then, Muntjac are easier to see and find and CWD are coming into rut and therefore sorting a buck from a doe is much easier and they are more active.

The Roe I am afraid you will need to come back for, and besides when I did run these Mini 3 hunts the end of September is never a good time for Roe Bucks. Hope this helps in your planning a visit.

Best regards

Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Thanks for the info. Would really like to try something like the late oct- early nov hunt. If I could get a roe with both horns even if they came off when he hit the ground they can be reattached to the skull plate for a shoulder mount. Then again maybe it would be best to just do the cwd and muntjac. Always try and get the most I can out of a trip. Just gathering info now and hoping to make a trip in 2013.
    Thanks Lance