Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note: PRVI 6.5 X 55mm 140s not deer-legal

Note: PRVI 6.5 X 55mm 140s not deer-legal

Sorry if this has been covered before; I've done a search and found nothing.

I'm getting ready for Red stalking in the Highlands, and checking a couple of factory loads for my Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5 x 55mm.

I borrowed a Shooting Chrony F1 at the range on Sunday, and checked two loads for MV.

The barrel is standard length; the rifle is fitted with an ASE North Star mod. The chrono was about 10' from the muzzle. I warmed the barrel with five rounds of FNM FMJ before testing the hunting loads. Results?

Prvi Partizan 139 grain SP:

Av: 2348
    ES: 41
    SD: 16

6.5 Federal Power-Shok 140s:

Av: 2440
    ES: 61
    SD: 22

Doubting the numbers on the Prvi round I emailed my shooting pal in the Highlands, who uses mainly this Prvi load. He tested an initial batch years ago, found the MV to be about 2,700 fps, and has been happily using it ever since. He's grassed over 1,000 deer with this load through his Sako 75.

He set up his chrono, tested the most recent batch in his gun safe, and confirmed the MV figures I had measured on Sunday.

So, through a 22 7/16” barrel, neither round meets the minimum 2,450 fps MV to make it deer-legal.

maximus otter

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for shooting deer with "not deer legal" round and what would be the penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Has anyone ever been prosecuted for shooting deer with "not deer legal" round and what would be the penalty?
    1. It's covered by Schedule 2 of the Deer Act 1991:

Deer Act 1991

Penalties for offences relating to deer.

"(1) Subject to subsection (2) below, a person guilty of an offence under any of the preceding provisions of this Act shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to both.

(2) Where an offence under any of the preceding provisions of this Act was committed in respect of more than one deer the maximum fine which may be imposed under subsection (1) above shall be determined as if the person convicted had been convicted of a separate offence in respect of each deer."

Before you ask, a Level 4 fine can be 2,500

2. Yes:

Hunting: Prosecutions: 24 Jan 2012: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou

m.o.

privi reckon its about 2540 or so so should be fine. I know my finlight has a relatively short barrel and is possibly why yours is dropping a little velocity personally I wouldn't worry. With the makers information you would need to be very very unlucky to have your rounds from your rifle put over a chrono, if you're that worried then start reloading or using an alternative

Crikey, we do get them on here.
    What deer would worry about being shot with a bullet travelling 102 fps too slow and indeed which officer of Police or nosey-parker would bother about it ?
    If many re-loaders checked their loads they too may find that they are potential criminals.
    The extreme spread of the Privi at 41 fps is commendable.

Concentrate upon your marksmanship, correct bullet placement and shooting at a sensible distance `maximus otter` and worry less about
    other trivial matters.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    ...worry less about other trivial matters.
    Like breaking the law?

m.o.

not chronoed mine.
    the 139 and 156 i use in my 6.5x55 sako finn lite group great.
    and the 100 or so deer taken every year with them don't seem to care.
    and if you state you believed the factory ballistics (in good faith), I think if everything else checked out, you would not be prosicuted, would you??

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    ...you would not be prosicuted, would you??
    My point is simply that you could be, as the law requires 2,450 fps in Scotland.

I agree that the deer won't know - I am four Reds for four rounds with that exact load - but the fact remains that it is illegal for deer in Scotland.

m.o.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus otter View Post
    My point is simply that you could be, as the law requires 2,450 fps in Scotland.

I agree that the deer won't know - I am four Reds for four rounds with that exact load - but the fact remains that it is illegal for deer in Scotland.

m.o.

In your rifle, you can't state that its an illegal load as it may well meet the minimum speed through a longer barrel. It potentially could be your chrono or any one of a number of things. Personally I's show anyone inquiring the box but as we know its a question you will never get asked.