Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar in Inverness shire

Boar in Inverness shire

Hello all,

Just looking to see if anyone in the Inverness shire area of Scotland has seen any wild boar about?

I work in forestry and was doing a site visit 'somewhere' and come across two boar on one of the roads, I managed to get a photo of one on my phone which I'll try to upload later..

Quite exciting!!

There was one present in the Cawdor/Littlemill area near Nairn over a year ago.

I used to cull roe there for Lethen Estate and myself saw some fields that had been ploughed up by it, but never the boar.

I have no idea what happened to it - economic pressure, had to work abroad, blah, blah, blah.

Hopefully it will be left alone to get on with its life and produce a few little piggies - but I doubt it.

I have heard stories about boar as far over as Granton, and in Inverness shire. This came from a reliable sources but it sounds like very small numbers. By the sound of it they are secretive animals, mainly active at night and if they do not plow up fields we will see little signs of them in open ground.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    There was one present in the Cawdor/Littlemill area near Nairn over a year ago.

I used to cull roe there for Lethen Estate and myself saw some fields that had been ploughed up by it, but never the boar.

I have no idea what happened to it - economic pressure, had to work abroad, blah, blah, blah.

Hopefully it will be left alone to get on with its life and produce a few little piggies - but I doubt it.
    Maybe it's gone to Eastern Europe? ... Bit risky there though

Good solid sightings from Glenfinan, loch arkaig, quite a few round Invergarry. My wife saw one in around lethen a couple of years ago and there is one or two kicking around glenlivet/aberlour.

SNH aren,t too bothered (yet!)

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I was told by another SD Member that one had been shot at Cawdor about 2 months ago. There was also rumuor of sightings around the Beauly/Muir of Ord area. If they are here, they are in very small numbers. There is certinally not the numbers to go out culling them.

Would I shoot one if I came accross it while out stalking? No idea.....
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Maybe it's gone to Eastern Europe? ... Bit risky there though
    I suspect its gone into someone's freezer..........

Personally I'd blindside any I saw, if armed.

but I assume you mean if it was a boar, frischling or an uberlaufer and not a breeding sow

......blindside, like not see...........

though I might put one across its bow - just to instill the appropriate fear of humans.....

(whether it was a breeding sow or anything else)

i hit one with the car on holiday on sky turned a bend this huge hairy thing with pointed head and tusks buckled my bumper then ran of down the road i reported it to police was told they had sean one on the other side of the iland how it got there i dont know unless escaped from some boar farm or somthing