Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training to track

Training to track

Edited
    Last edited by Briarquest; 04-05-2010 at 16:09.

I don't think it is so different to train a dog to track deer than the type of training you do with your dogs. You have the advantage of knowing what a trained dog is capable of.
    I look at it like training any other gun dog in that you are just honeing what comes naturally to a dog. My self i think its quite easy to get a dog to a good standard to track deer. Many stalkers think long and hard about the dog they want for deer. They pay a lot of money for a pup and then never get the full potential that the dog is capable of by a bit of simply training. But then this seems to affect many branchs of the gundog world.
    Its also about training your self to read what the dog is doing and trust the dog.

Nothing wrong with your dog attacking the shooter who has messed up a shot. It will teach them to learn to shoot better

Deer Dogs

Sounds like interesting stuff,I live in North Yokshire and could sort you ot with the skin and blood but I am away with work until late june. If you dont have any joy before then give me a shout. I add salt to the blood to stop it clotting.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Briarquest
    but you do not have to specifically train on deer. You are teaching the dog to look for differences in the scent picture on the ground.

Ian
    my own thoughts on this is
    if you teach your dog to track pheasants, it will track pheasant scent
    if you teach it to track rabbits,it will track rabbit scent
    if you teach it to track sheep ,it will track sheep scent
    so if you want your dog to track deer then train it on deer to strat with and if you want it to track a specific deer like a wounded one then train it for that situation , so the dog has a chance to assoiciate the circumstances with the findings in it's nose
    other wise you could be following the freshest scent or strongest scent you come across which may not be the deer you are after
    ie wounded deer, very little blood could be split from the herd and dog follows the herd instead or even takes fancy to a pheasant or fox that has just crossed infront of you
    how long and how far from the orignal trail could that take you before you realised and then how would you know where the orignal trail was if you had not marked it at crucial points along the way or if it is now dark , as the land or the forrest looks all the same in the torch light
    just a few things i looked at when i started off that hav helped me so far and i am still learning about it
    ATB
    stone

Briarquest

I am intersted in your take on scent training as I believe that a tracking dog is probably capable of a lot more than we ask of it. When you get started please post your expeeriences.

I have a Teckel who tracks the fairly straight forward faultlessly, anything up to about 12 hours starting a the point of shot.

Of late I have been tracking in a deer park to add more and more distraction also dropping the dog on the trail about half way along and seeing how long it takes her to work out she is tracking a heel line and turning around and going back along the trail. This has taken a couple of months of work to get this right. but they do work out that a trail is getting older as they go down it and reverse direction. (Something I learnt from Foxhound kennels).

Its hard to tap into the Police/Miliary guys for info, though I bought a Lintran trailer from Lancashire Police Dog Training centre and had a fascinating day looking round and asking questions when I collected it. Some of the stuff they were doing was way ahead of basic tracking.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Briarquest

I am intersted in your take on scent training as I believe that a tracking dog is probably capable of a lot more than we ask of it. When you get started please post your expeeriences.

I have a Teckel who tracks the fairly straight forward faultlessly, anything up to about 12 hours starting a the point of shot.

Of late I have been tracking in a deer park to add more and more distraction also dropping the dog on the trail about half way along and seeing how long it takes her to work out she is tracking a heel line and turning around and going back along the trail. This has taken a couple of months of work to get this right. but they do work out that a trail is getting older as they go down it and reverse direction. (Something I learnt from Foxhound kennels).

Its hard to tap into the Police/Miliary guys for info, though I bought a Lintran trailer from Lancashire Police Dog Training centre and had a fascinating day looking round and asking questions when I collected it. Some of the stuff they were doing was way ahead of basic tracking.

Keep us posted on your progress.

If anyone's interested Sparsholt College is running a Niels Sondergaard Dogs for Deer course on Thursday 30 April and Friday 1 May.

http://www.sparsholt.ac.uk/pages/new...aspx?idNews=80

Chris

[Its hard to tap into the Police/Miliary guys for info]

No its not doghound just give me a bell [/quote]

Also to Ian, we import dried blood from Germany, it is quite a popular product but we've never used it.

Hi Ian
    would be interested on a talk about methedology as it sounds quite interesting
    not sure how different training really is to what i am used to but always one to try and learn new methods or improve mine where ever poss
    just to give you a little insight to what i play about doing with my little girl sika
    i got the OH to lay me a blood trail using as little blood as she dared
    she used a 500 ml washing up liquid bottle which had a mixture of fallow blood diluted with about 30% tap water just to help make the blood run better

she layed a trail about 250-300 yards long using about 200-220 ml of blood
    a certain points she made a few extra drops so that i could see i was on the right track
    some i zoomed in on a couple of the blood spots that i could see i
    there are 2 clips , i made a mistake and pressed the stop button so then carried on filming therefore 2 clips

as you can see from the clips there is very little voice activity from myself just a few to steady sika up at the start, as i want sika to work it out by herself
    i myself was told of several key points along the trail but i was not present when the trail was laid so i had to trust sika aswell as look for signs myself
    the trail was laid around 7:30 am on bank holiday monday
    i set off on the trail at 7:40 am this morning being tuesday
    so the trail was 24 hours old
    points to look at on first clip is at 10 secs (starting point)i was shown this shortly after the trail was laid so i scrubbed it up a little to make sure of some decent scent to start off from
    1 min 25secs (50-70 yards) we reached a fence and first real sign of any blood
    3mins a marrow bone left on the trail, this was dropped there yesterday as the brother in-law took his dogs across the field and one of the dogs dropped it there as it picked up the blood scent and followed it for a while, so apart from the geese and brother in-law and his several dogs all going over the field there were also rabbits present and strong smell of fox

4 mins more blood to show we were on the right track
    It was a damp morning so that did help
    CLIP 1

Clip 2
    this you will see towards the end of the trail sika is pulling very hard as she has air scented the skin that was left at the end of the trail so she had something to find

Remember this is not how every one does it or even the perfect tracking technique, this was just to give you an idea of what i put my dog through and of course to leave myself open for questions, debate and advice by those more and less experienced than my self
    ATB
    Stone