Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 owners Help choosing factory ammo please

.270 owners Help choosing factory ammo please

As above I'm looking into my options on factory ammo for my Winchester 70. At the moment i have only tries Hornady 150 grain SP and Winchester 150 grain SP. What do other .270 users use on Deer (Roe and Fallow) mainly.
    I know there's a big divide between SP and BT and do not really want to fire this debate up again. So some of your preferances may help in my quest. ATB Shaun

Federal power shock in 130 or 150 group very well through my tikka. And they're cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Ov View Post
    Federal power shock in 130 or 150 group very well through my tikka. And they're cheap!

thats where i would start , bugger all wrong with federal ammo have used tons of it in the past and its always worked well !

last time i bought some i think it was about 17.50 a box !?

only ever used Norma 130 and 150gr Soft point in factory ammo.
    does everything you will need

Hi firstly find a brand of ammunition that shoots consistently in your make of rifle.
    With regards to bullet weight i prefer 130g sp works every time for me from large domestic cattle to roe its accuracy that gets results.
    150 g will also work well if placed in the right place.
    And believe it or not my sako loves Winchester 130g sp
    Other brands are acceptable but none shine like Winchester.

130 gr SP in Norma for my Browning, although it does hate the 150 gr SP Norma. Anyway the 130 gr will cleanly put the lights out on any of our spicies of deer, if put in the right place.

Norma 130 sp's have always served me well.

As the boys have already said, the Norma and Federals won't see you wrong. I've also had good results with Winchester Powerpoints. But, my Sako 85's absolute favourite is the RWS H-Mantle in 130 gn. Had Muntjac through to Red (chest shot and head shot in the park) with it and never had a drama.

Having said my piece on brands, it's now down to you to try a few of them to find out the most important piece of info you need, which one your Rifle likes. The deer don't care what you hit them with, but the rifle cares about what you feed it. When you know what your rifle favours, it's all down to your bullet placement
    Last edited by digger9523; 31-07-2012 at 19:15.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

I'm using Sako Gamehead 130 grain, their hollow point boat tails, group well through my Steyr Mannlicher and work very well on Roe.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Norma 130 sp's have always served me well.
    Can't fault them on anything except the price. I will still always pay that little bit extra for them right enough as I've always had confidence in them, and they group well with my rifle.