Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: licenses

  1. #1

    licenses

    Ok as far as im aware, but i will stand corrected that to shoot deer on a farmers or landowners land we as stalkers do not require a license other than FAC, or out of season and night shooting.

    The reason for posting is today the following conversation took place

    Bloke "Hey i was talking to the land agent today and he says there are no licenses issued in the area to shoot deer"
    I replied "license, you dont need one the farmer has the shooting rights he has given permission and as long as the right calibre and ammunition and the deer shot are in season your ok."

    after 15 minutes of a disscussion he had me doubting myself hence the post.

    Now the farmers rent the farm from a county council and the farmers allow vermin shot (general license) and deer are under the deer act. Ive trawled internet and gone through DSC1 manual and i cant find anything about licenses. Permits FC yes.

    So can someone put my mind at rest that im in the right with my advice.

  2. #2
    I don't know if this is any help and maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick but...

    It is possible for someone to own the ground, or even to rent the ground, but not to have the shooting rights over that ground. So I suppose it is just possible that the farmer has no rights to allow shooting of deer on the ground as the council retain these rights, or maybe the council don't even own them.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I don't know if this is any help and maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick but...

    It is possible for someone to own the ground, or even to rent the ground, but not to have the shooting rights over that ground. So I suppose it is just possible that the farmer has no rights to allow shooting of deer on the ground as the council retain these rights, or maybe the council don't even own them.
    That's correct, I used to stalk in forestry that had been sold by the previous owner but he had retained the sporting rights- on his deeds, presumably.

  4. #4
    My brother in law rented a council holding for years and I know for a fact that the council retained the shooting/sporting rights.

  5. #5
    Or could just be semantics.

    Several organisations refer to a 'license' to mean purely a commercial transaction to do something - rather than the more usual interpretation of a legal authority. Possibly just crossed wires?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017




  6. #6
    Yeah shooting rights can be sold, leased or retained. An old part of land law as you can imagine, it would be dangerous to assume that a tenant farmer has the shooting rights automatically.

    Cheers

    S

  7. #7
    So in short no body can put my mind at rest.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    So in short no body can put my mind at rest.
    I think the only way to put your mind at rest would be to see a document which indicates that the farmer held the shooting rights and so was in a position to give permission to shoot deer on the land. My experience, which is very limited, has been that more often than not a tennant farmer doesn't have the shooting rights and I shoot over a forest where the land owner does not hold the shooting rights.

    It is possible, as others have suggested, that there is some confusion over terminology and that the council retain the shooting rights and occasionally issue people with what they may call "licences" or "permits" to shoot - i.e. written permission. These might locally be called licences especially by someone with only a passing interest or involvement in the matter.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I think the only way to put your mind at rest would be to see a document which indicates that the farmer held the shooting rights and so was in a position to give permission to shoot deer on the land. My experience, which is very limited, has been that more often than not a tennant farmer doesn't have the shooting rights and I shoot over a forest where the land owner does not hold the shooting rights. ...
    Agree. So until you get written permission from someone who either holds the shooting rights or manages the shooting rights on behalf of the holder, I suggest you stop shooting deer on the farm. Regards JCS

  10. #10
    In this neck of the woods there are many tenant farmers on land that belong to a large estates. None of these farmers have any sporting rights and Deer and Vermin Control are done by Employees of the estate. I can't imagine any misunderstandings where this is concerned as everyone knows the score. I can imagine in cases where land has been sold and sporting rights retained it could get a bit complicated.

Similar Threads

  1. Additional licenses/conditions for reloading?
    By YukonT in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 17:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •