Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD lenses

HD lenses

We are all used to the term High Definition with regard to television. In this context it refers to the pixel count on the screen you are looking at i.e hugely more pixels on the screen and consequently a better image.

Can anybody explain to me what it means with regards to scope and binocular lenses? Are the manufacturers just cashing in on a word that has meaning to us with regards to our expectation of what we will see rather than the reality. Or are these HD lenses really superior to the high quality optics from the top end brands of only a year or so ago ?
    i would love to be enlightened !

I don't know but what I do know is that my Z6i HD is mind blowingly good on 8x power in low light.. Fantastic.

on my old Leica Ultravid Binoculars the difference between HD and non-HD is about 500!
    apparently no other discernible difference!

the zeiss use schott glass in theirs.
    google it for details.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    on my old Leica Ultravid Binoculars the difference between HD and non-HD is about 500!
    apparently no other discernible difference!
    Thats what I am thinking, is it a case of the "kings new clothes" ?

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    the zeiss use schott glass in theirs.
    google it for details.
    I know John, I have two pairs of Zeiss bins and at least one of their scopes and to be fair to Zeiss they don't use the term HD but talk about HT - high transmission which I can understand. I also have Swarovski and Khales glass which I also find excellent but nothing with an HD tag.

hi hd glass is just glass with difrent cemicals added this stops distorton and abrevient light entering the glass giving better contrast and definiton its alsow softer glass more easaly scrached than normal glass ment to give crisper image nikkon use it on all there high end cameras and monarch111 8x32x50hd rifle scope they onley use it on high magnificaton scopes as they claim glass distortion is not a problem on lower mag scopes hope it helps ht and hd are two totaly diffrent things one ishow much light gets throe a scope to your eye the other deals with distorton halo from glass toyour eye one helps you see better in the low light the other helps you see bullit holes at distance
    Last edited by wraith; 01-08-2012 at 21:27.

Probarly a computer will tell the difference along with a scientist between normal and hd lenses. Although my 8x42hd swarovskis and I wouldn't change them for the world!

Can concur I cannot tell the difference between 10x42 Geovids and HD version, mate has old ones, mine HD no appreciable difference.

D

Even with my tired peepers I *think* I can discern a definite difference between my Swaro 80 HD spotting 'scope and the non-HD version. I had a try of both and the HD does appear to give an edge on clarity, particularly on the higher end of the magnification range at 50 or 60x. It must be so to account for the 500 price difference mustn't it!