Thread: Deer Head

Deer Head

A friend on another forum has posted this picture of a roe buck recently shot. From what I know the buck is old, no upper teeth and few lower but according to my friend was in fairly good nick. (Seems a bit strange as obvioulsy this buck would have problems eating)

There are signs that the head/antlers may have been caught up in wire or something similar perhaps stopping or reducing blood flow but any further thoughts on the head appreciated. I would think a combination of old age and possibly parasites.

Davie
    It would have been better to see the whole beast .But what i might add is Roe Deer don't have upper teeth but from what i can see it looks like damage not an age thing might be a bit of both.

It may be Meningoencephalitis bacterial or fungal infection ,it can happen when shedding velvet and stay like that untill the antlers are cast

There's also Cryptorchidism ,which leaves small antlers and can remain in velvet, never be cast causing them to get thicker (like you pic) miss shapen in some cases like a perruque antler .

Get Morena on the case this is bread and butter stuff for him .

If the teeth are in such a bad state it could be a very old animal .
    It will be interesting to see the pedicles when the head is boiled out .
    I shot a similar specimen in Sweden many years ago , its top and bottom jaw teeth were worn down to the gums .

HWH .

Quote Originally Posted by Davie
    It would have been better to see the whole beast .But what i might add is Roe Deer don't have upper teeth but from what i can see it looks like damage not an age thing might be a bit of both.
    Roe have upper molars and pre molars, no upper canines or incisors.

J