Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Reloading Kits?

Lee Reloading Kits?

Seen these kits on the internet saying "everything you need to reload" (apart from shells, bullets, powder and primers) - about 30 for the kit not including the hammer...

Does anyone know if they're any good? I'm new to reloading, so looking for a complete kit to try and see if I like it. Are the results as good as factory ammo with these kits?

Thanks,
    BD

I have one in .243, although crude the results are excellent, and will out perform factory ammo.
    Not keen on doing the primers with it but Ive not had any go off yet.
    I have also got the breechblock challenger kit that I use for the 6mm rem and .223, it came with an auto prime, so use that instead now.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I bought Lee gear when i started but after seeing the results that others were getting with RCBS/Redding in terms of consistancy i've now gone down that road and seen the benefits of better engineering and tighter tolerances in the manufacturing process's that RCBS etc use, Whilst Lee have been around for years and plenty of people get results that they are happy with using Lee gear, i found that i have been able to produce better ammo on a more consistant basis using the more expensive gear and for me that's what counts.
    Having said the above, if Lee works for you then all well and good but as with many other things, you only get what you pay for and to my mind, the better the equiptment, the better the end result?

Bunnydoom

If you look at the recent thread within ammunition, reloading & ballistics
    "Buying Ammunition from someone who reloads"

there is quite a bit about the classic Lee Loader.

For the stalker only using a couple of boxes a year, but after the convenience of being able to home load, they are good bits of kit.
    Minimal outlay & proven results.

My 1st relaoding rig was one of these, for my 1st rifle (or should I say "carbine" as it was an M1 Carbine)

Still got it - the Lee kit, not the M1 (sad to say, brilliant bits of kit for range fun...)
    Have since bought a few more - some quite recently - as a few popped up at a price too good to say no to

I have sevral of these Lee loader kits and they are so simple to use. they are great for loading rifle ammo although i weigh my powder charge. I can Load 50 .303" in well under an hour.
    I also have a Dillon 550B progersive press which is good for loading pistol ammo (250 an hour .357 Mag) I dont think I would like to load biger quantites on with the Lee Loader.

They are a good buy available from 22.50 a set......Bargain cost four times that to convert my Dillon to load another calibre!

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    They are a good buy available from 22.50 a set......Bargain cost four times that to convert my Dillon to load another calibre!
    ...as the saying goes - "you are doing it wrong!!"

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    I bought Lee gear when i started but after seeing the results that others were getting with RCBS/Redding in terms of consistancy i've now gone down that road and seen the benefits of better engineering and tighter tolerances in the manufacturing process's that RCBS etc use, Whilst Lee have been around for years and plenty of people get results that they are happy with using Lee gear, i found that i have been able to produce better ammo on a more consistant basis using the more expensive gear and for me that's what counts.
    Having said the above, if Lee works for you then all well and good but as with many other things, you only get what you pay for and to my mind, the better the equiptment, the better the end result?
    I think you misread the OP if you can get a reloading kit from Redding,RCBS at anywhere near the 30-40 that a Lee Loader kit comes in at then could you get me a couple
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Seen these kits on the internet saying "everything you need to reload" (apart from shells, bullets, powder and primers) - about 30 for the kit not including the hammer...

Does anyone know if they're any good? I'm new to reloading, so looking for a complete kit to try and see if I like it. Are the results as good as factory ammo with these kits?

Thanks,
    BD
    So Lee Loader is all you need. I got one in .308 and bought it for exactly same reason. If you dont like it you can sell it back on here or eBay and get your money back.

I take it RCBS kits are a lot of money then?

CSL posted an awesome "intro to reloading" thread - to be honest though I did think "j*sus that's a shed load of kit!"... left me wondering if it would be cheaper to just buy them at the shops... I started using PPU .243 ammo this season and had great results, so would need this to have pretty special results to justify buying anything expensive.

The other issue is I've just put in for a 7mm-08 - am I right in thinking I have to re-size 308 cases? Also does anyone know where I could get the heads? Is there such a thing as a Lee Loader for a 7mm-08 as haven't found one?