missed a gold medal buck.

Sounds like you have got a bad case of buck fever, it's very contagious this time of year.
Deep breath, stay calm, and you know the rest, Best of luck.

you cannot change whats gone before you ,smarten up theres another around the corner.if you need practice then do it.may seem harsh but its a constant learning curve.if you forget something write a checklist,I know myself/binos/knife/sticks/rope/.........oh yes ...gun.

Cheers Canbull. I leave alot of my stuff in the car sticks and binos etc. I have the kids for two weeks and wasnt expecting to go out. When the chance came the car was loaded. I forgot the sticks as I put them in the cuboard out the road. A list would be good for reloading the car. I just take my rifle and my paper work into the car the rest is there usualy. Cheers Hootsman

I was stalking in fife last night and called in a massive buck,that was fighting another buck that wasnt much smaller. The story goes I didnt have my stick and had to take lean on a telegraph pole. Pulled the trigger and missed the buck. Iam still gutted. I have been up all night lol. The reason for this story is to remind everyone to take their sticks. its pretty over grown out there and you might just be in the same situation with a buck of a life time pass you by. I will be back the night with sticks and if I take him I will post a photo. cheers Hootsman. oh and the ruts on up here

Moral of the story is learn to shoot free hand much easier .

I have a weak left elbow widows son. I broke it two years ago and I cant hold the rifle long before it pains the joint. Cheers Hootman

Just minding back to ur first buck hootsman u used my rifle an shot off my shoulder.it prob wasnt fact u had no sticks it would prob be the flapping because of the medal buck in front of you.the same happened to me last year when i missed a medal buck exept i was on the bypod an the buck fever got to me.i shouldnt hav took the shot lucky enough it was a clean miss.

True Kev. Still one of my best bucks aswell lol. I might be thinking too much now. Where before I just pulled the trigger. Everyone does it but I hope when I miss I miss and not wound cheers Hootsman

Dont take the shot if you think you will miss.you will get other chances.Everyone misses mate,anyone says they dont is a lier.The other way to look at that miss on big buck,is he is carrying on his genes ,for future bucks on your permission.good luck Hootsman

I checked the zero on the .308 and it was 4 inches to the left out. I watched the video of the shot last night and guess what missed it by four inches to the left. I have gave myself a hard time over the last week for the miss. Cheers Hootsman

Hootsman..... I know exactly about your thoughts and feelings.... I had a miss on a non-typical roe buck last years rut, it was a buck I knew for years, all of our hunting team were after him. I couldnt believe my shot, ordered a bloodhound to check for it, searched the thickest brushes for him on my own, without any results...
Afterwards I was out in this part of my hunting area every day, most times twice a day. I spotted him almost every time, but was never able to take the shot, mostly because of a bad (missing) background....
It took me exactly one week to get him finally, with a clear shot and kill, what a moment it was to step over him!
It was a very special moment, I will never forget! I keep my fingers crossed for you and a good ending story!
:tiphat:
Michael

Back