YDS top tip(for the rut).

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Well this tatic is not 1 I use often but its sometimes worth a go when all else fails.
I managed to capture it on film also, so proves its not an old wives tale.
Make up your own minds.
Good luck.
P.s. this is another good reason to leave the light bullets and .243's for foxes and get a better deer cartridge with bullets +140gr. (incoming).:stir:

Great video. I have left the 22/250 in the cabinet the now due to the same reason. The .308 shoots through that stuff. I feel the pain of the miss after I missed last night cheers Hootsman

Great video. I have left the 22/250 in the cabinet the now due to the same reason. The .308 shoots through that stuff.

I have shot many roe with my 22250 and its a great deer killer, but like you say no good in cover.
I missed x3 cubs one evening on a rape stubble last year. Saw the bullets strike rape stalks ahead of the cubs, just never got there.
Went the following evening with the swede, same shots on same litter, all 3 dead with 3 shots + an extra what showed up.

Nice one John, not a trick I have tried but might now! Shame about the miss and I agree about the heavier bullets. At least he wasn`t wounded.

Aye the big calibers are in their own league when pushing through cover. We have loads of long grass up here the now and Iam glad I bought the big gun or I wouldnt be shooting much. The video is a great example cheers Hootsman

I tried a couple of test shots the other night with the 150grn sierra game king out the .308. They will push through light grasses and medium bush types aslong as its no longer than a foot deep. It shot where I wanted it to go. The thicker cover puts the big bullet off aswell. It just shows you its worth a look at. I thought the .308 would be better than it was but I was shooting soft points so maybe plastic tips would be better. Iam going mess about a wee bit more in the future cheers Hootsman

Something rings a bell that I read once that round nose bullets in the heavier and therefore slower weights perform better at shooting through grass and light cover than pointed ones. Cannot remember the reasoning given for it now though...

I jist thought it was getting to the lead core easier. I thought the plastic tip would maybe guard against this in the heavy calibers cheers Hootsman

Every year during the rut i have had bucks move often bucks that were out of sight but they have come as i have scraped the ground clear underneath my feet to be able to move quietly while calling in woodland it is a trick i have used with great effect many times but only through the rut. as for the miss, neck it .W.S

Back