Thread: Problem with Tikka M595 Trigger mechanism

Problem with Tikka M595 Trigger mechanism

My rifle has developed a serious safety issue. When the rifle is cocked and safety applied, you can pull the trigger and the gun will fire... Also, having applied moderate pressure to the trigger with the safety on the gun will fire when the safety is taken off to withdraw the bolt...

Thankfully I found the fault whilst testing the safety, so no accidental discharge and a very red face. Just to set the record straight, I would never attempt to pull the trigger with the safety applied.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with the M series trigger/safety? And how they got it repaired? I've heard that the Tikka trigger is very good as factory ones go.

I'm thinking the best solution is to replace the trigger mechanism with a CG one, but I read on the internet they are not being produced anymore.

Does anyone know of a decent trigger mechanism that would fit my rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by reload View Post
    My rifle has developed a serious safety issue. When the rifle is cocked and safety applied, you can pull the trigger and the gun will fire... Also, having applied moderate pressure to the trigger with the safety on the gun will fire when the safety is taken off to withdraw the bolt...

Thankfully I found the fault whilst testing the safety, so no accidental discharge and a very red face. Just to set the record straight, I would never attempt to pull the trigger with the safety applied.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with the M series trigger/safety? And how they got it repaired? I've heard that the Tikka trigger is very good as factory ones go.

I'm thinking the best solution is to replace the trigger mechanism with a CG one, but I read on the internet they are not being produced anymore.

Does anyone know of a decent trigger mechanism that would fit my rifle?
    I assume you have checked weather the trigger adjustment has moved and caused it to interfer with the safety because that can most certainly cause problems,just spoke to my friend if he remembers correctly his replacement one for his was a Barnard one wich is a cracker hope this helps.....
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 04-08-2012 at 20:44.

The trigger is set too light or there is dirt in the unit causing the safety not to engage properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    The trigger is set too light or there is dirt in the unit causing the safety not to engage properly.
    Thats favourite I would have thought...

Agree with Redmist - and lean toward something dragging/ filling an 'important bit'.

Encountered similar problems with a range of rifles - but particularly Tikka - which I love.

The single most common issue is a bit of grit - or in one case a bit of heather seed - getting into the unit. Often exacerbated if trigger has been wet lubed - or oil has migrated from elsewhere - which holds the grit.

On occasion the grit has moved on - but has raised a bur which causes the safety mechanism to drag on the sear.

If your trigger is set at or above 3lbs, I'd suspect grit. For an issue such as this, the advice must be to take it to a competent dealer ( as opposed to a rifle seller ). I always muddle my geography way down South - is Steve Beaty/ Ivythorn close?

If you choose to give the trigger unit a thorough blast out with brake cleaner - if over a sheet of white paper there's a chance of seeing the possible offender. Worth concentrating on the sear area and safety bars. Test it dry. If ok then recommend a good dry lube - Dry Slide or better BP-2000/ Tuf Glide - in extreme moderation and test again.

But dealer route has to be my suggestion.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

It has been a problem with certain Tika and Sako rifles. Often caused by a circlip coming loose. A heavy duty safety catch has been offered to some of the profesional users.
    Yes it is very worring when you discover it

Contact your dealer to fix
    Last edited by .25-06; 04-08-2012 at 21:45.

Yes the first thing I did was to suspect the trigger pull, but no luck there. I agree, it sounds like a foreign body inside the mech or something coming adrift.
    Moray outfitting, I will check out- Steve Beaty/ Ivythorn on the net, but I've not heard of them.
    25-06, these mech's seem to be sealed which is very frustrating, as I come from an engineering background and that sounds like an easy fix.

I had the same problem with mine whilst adjusting the trigger once. Got a compressor with an inline air dryer - so no moisture coming out and removed the action from the stock and blew the trigger unit with it. You wouldn't believe the crap that came out of it. Cured the problem for me. Whoever had it before me had over lubricated it as well which didn't help. By the way I tried to get a Barnard trigger but they only did one with no safety on it. Not much use in the field!

Thanks Murph, a few people have said the same as you. It's with a gunsmith now. Hopefully I'll get a call from him very soon.