Bisley

swarovski

It's bisley tomorrow,time to try out my remy 308 custom at 600 and 1000yds,i used my 30-06 tikka there with excellent results,have stepped down in caliber,hope it does the business for me,I may miss the extra power,going to need an extra 6 moa elevation,just hope the wind isn't too strong so I can get some decent results,200 mile round trip along way to go for a shite day.

spent all day there today in a comp, its another 120 rounds I won't see again (except as reloads :D) the wind was pretty capricious today, with people being being caught out at 600 yrds, but then the targets were very small (I should know, I missed enough of them :doh:) the .308 with 155 or 175gn SMKs or similar should be fine at 1000 as long as you are driving them fast enough.
PS before Brithunter gets in, you are still shooting the same calibre, just a different cartridge :p
PPS I hope you like Harleys, they have 1000's of them there for a HD meet

My mate shot in a comp today at bisley,was an event organised by csr lot,he came 18th out of 59 with his 260,his score was messed up at 300yds,chap in next lane shot mates target,not sure how yet haven't spoken to him,info via text

Haven't tested through chrony yet,my scenar load is on max with 43.4grs of n140,ment to be doing 2650fps in 24 inch barrel,prob going around 50fps faster though my 26 inch barrel,made them to fit mag,39 fow off,accurate as you like,4 shot 0.287 oai group at 100yds when I tested Thursday :eek:

for a 1000 you will probably need to go fater (if they are 155) obviously you will have to work up the load in your rifle!

Wind wise,was the least wind I've known,rain,it hammered down most of the morning,1000yds didn't go well,wasn't getting any consistency,no sure if it was bad marking or my ammo,I was way to steady zeroing with rear sandbag to be me,600yds was better but I still wasn't happy how it shot,did ok at 200yds,may have took 2nd spot,results are radioed back,maybe ammo isn't going fast enough for 1000yds at the moment,I will chrony and make some more to test,will post results tomorrow,let's hope I wernt that bad.am usually around the top 5

Last edited:
you should still be supersonic with that load at 1000, the people I know who seriously shoot at that range and further with .308 use at least a couple of grains more, but obviously at that point you are into working up a load and pushing the limits, so you would need to know more than I do about reloading (not hard) several people have mentioned they are now using 175SMKs so maybe worth a try?

I've tried 0.6gr over max with n140,I made a ragged hole with 4 shots and let 2 go,had to rush coz raining and thunder and lightning flashing and banging around me last Thursday,was a rush thing coz I haven't had time to test proper,been busy

8th at 1000yds,not sure how shots wernt going where I aimed,ammo not good for that range,ad highest score of the day at 600yds,2nd at 200yds mcqueens out of 22,back to the drawing board with 1000yd ammo

175SMK don't really cut it at 1000yards in my experience, they can be fine for informal shooting at that distance but you will need to be going at 2750+ for them to be above the subsonic band at 1k.
you should try the 155 Palma at 3000-3050fps, however most competitive shooters are working with the 155 & 185 Berger hybrids.
Reaching the above velocities should be developed with caution as you will be above Max loads in most instances.

Thanks below,when I used my 30-06 it was only doing 2785fps on n140,it was awesome accurate,I could of stoked it right up but didn't need too,probaly need a double based powder to get best out of 308,loaded some with 2520 last night,a mate had some.

Thanks below,when I used my 30-06 it was only doing 2785fps on n140,it was awesome accurate,I could of stoked it right up but didn't need too,probaly need a double based powder to get best out of 308,loaded some with 2520 last night,a mate had some.
AA2520 is pretty much the same as N140 performance wise, just a lot dirtier in my experience, plenty of competitive shooters are still using N140 and reaching out to 1000-1200, you realise that double base powders will shorten your barrel life compared to single base?

AA2520 is pretty much the same as N140 performance wise, just a lot dirtier in my experience, plenty of competitive shooters are still using N140 and reaching out to 1000-1200, you realise that double base powders will shorten your barrel life compared to single base?
I thought 2520 was dub base powder,never used it before,I shot a few at 44.5gr n140 but it sprayed them,flattened primers,grub is with 155gr scenar it's longer than 175gr SMks,scenar takes up a lot of powder room

I did try a varget load that shot well,mite be able to achieve a good velocity to reach out there with good accuracy,made some more to test,waiting to borrow a mates chrony,I bought 2kg of n140 4 weeks ago,may not be any good now :doh:

155gr scenar over 49.8grs n140
that gave you about 150 fps on paper over the .308 Assuming both rifles had the same barrel length! sounds like the problem is more with the rifle/bullet mix than the powder, you can keep a 155 Scenar supersonic at 1000 as long as you keep it at 2600 fps at the muzzle and thats not a hot load.

Tikka 30-06 had 24 inch barrel,1 in 10 twist I think,I was worried about the transition between them,will give it to the end of the season and have it rebarrel in 260

that gave you about 150 fps on paper over the .308 Assuming both rifles had the same barrel length! sounds like the problem is more with the rifle/bullet mix than the powder, you can keep a 155 Scenar supersonic at 1000 as long as you keep it at 2600 fps at the muzzle and thats not a hot load.

Hi Kennyc,
Tecnically you are right, a scenar leaving at 2600 would still be supersonic at 1000 (just about)
It would be doing about 1070 or there abouts but would have started to enter the transonic band and would have started to yaw.
In reality your bullets need to be above 1250fps at a minimum , preferably above 1350 to remain asleep and stable.
......In my very humble opinion.

Last edited:
Back