First rifle, First stalking permission, First solo deer!

I decided i would get out early this morning to try and catch up with a few bucks on my first permission i have seen whilst scouting out the ground.

I got to the ground for 4:30, decided on the route i would take and headed off. It was fairly dark as i headed off so had to work hard through the binos to try and spot some deer but having just stalked round a sugar beet field i came to a gateway into a 50acre field of rape we had harvested a week ago and as i came through the gateway and began to work my way round the field i noticed a movement out the corner of my eye, then through a hedge a roe buck came out onto the headland about 100ft away. After having a quick look through the binos it confirmed that it was the buck i was after, a small 4 pointer i had seen around the area and had planned to take out.

After a check to make sure the shot was safe, the rifle up on the sticks, and a quick whistle had him turn broadside and then the 100gr .243 round did the job straight through the front shoulder. The buck jumped into the air, ran about 40 yards then U turned and after a quick wobble he fell dead.

I couldnt believe it!! Only my 2nd solo stalk and i managed to bag my first solo buck! Its not a massive head, but its my head and its is a stunning looking deer.

To make things better i spotted a big muntjac buck on another part of the permission as i drove home.

So i was back home for 6am and was well worth getting up for even after a hard days harvest the day before.

I have some pics. but cant find the cable to put them on the pc

Minted its a great feeling when your out yourself the first few times. man verses nature all the best for the munti cheers Hootsman

Well done again buddy and cheers for the call at half 5 this morning!! Haha good job my phone was off. More on the way im sure

Nice one!!well done you!!...only just had my first earlier this season.....great feeling.....if you want it mounted,BILL BARTLETT IS YOUR MAN..............

Nice one!!well done you!!...only just had my first earlier this season.....great feeling.....if you want it mounted,BILL BARTLETT IS YOUR MAN..............

Im sending bill a red later this year but am going to give this one ago at boiling out myself

cheers

well done , its been almost 10 yrs since my first roe and i can still remember it as if it were yesterday !

Congratulations ! on your first solo deer ..
I look forward to mine with eager anticipation :)
atb
Andrew

just read your post am sat looking at my first solo roe buck head and that was 22years ago but still remember it like yesterday he's nothing special
but he's mine

Well done Tom. I remeber my first roe buck. Not a great head, but one I'll never forget. I still got it on the wall !:)

thanks for the comments, i went out again last saturday and saw a muntjac doe and got another roe buck! so thats 2 deer in 3 outings but havent been able to get out since due to harvest.

Back