Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need a wee bit info/help..

need a wee bit info/help..

Im contemplating saving up some dosh and getting myself an quad bike for my shooting/ stalking. My thinking is keep car as its cheaper to run than a 4x4 (fuel, tax etc) popping a towbar on and investing in a quad and small trailer. I was going to buy a jeep next year so I may even put of and get a better quad for my money. If I can do this I am wanting a trailer just big enough for the quad ti fit on but small enough that the quad will be able to tow without putting too much strain on it. Now my knowlage on these things is less than ZIP!!! To be upfront and honest Ive just started driving 1. Now what type, size etc should I be looking to get? I know Honda, Yamaha are a good place to start. Also the quad Im driving just know is a pure brute to steer its proiper heavy is this the norm due to it being 4x4 or is there a way round this? I should have said it will not be doing serious of road driving perhaps in and out woods using the track and across fields and generally getting me up and down the rough track up to the top of my shoot and back. This could be a long thread with loads more questions to come so be patient and gentle....

Please no kind P/M's offering to sell me a quad as i said Im thinking.

Admin I hope this thread is in the correct section, I couldnt find a section for motoring.

Nutty
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 05-08-2012 at 11:48.

I use a honda 550 foreman which you can take out of fwd for road use , I think it's a 2008 ? But the best bit of kit I've got is a new John Deere gator , absolutely excellent , more capable for carrying and excellent offload and it's cheap to run , it's a gator xuv . Just a heads up though any newish quad or Utv will cost 5k upwards .

Heres the site info on the gator - JohnDeere XUV 855D Cross Over Utility Vehicles

Ours hasn't got the alloys thank god , and it comes in olive and black too , absolutely excellent .
    Last edited by Acm; 05-08-2012 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    I use a honda 550 foreman which you can take out of fwd for road use , I think it's a 2008 ? But the best bit of kit I've got is a new John Deere gator , absolutely excellent , more capable for carrying and excellent offload and it's cheap to run , it's a gator xuv . Just a heads up though any newish quad or Utv will cost 5k upwards .

Cheers, I knew a newish quad will cost me. The Foreman sounds interesting.

Nutty

I recently bought a Kawasaki KLF300 4x4 quad off gumtree.
    Fantastic condition with 2 batteries/split charge/3000LB Winch all for £1000
    It has got hi and lo gearboxes too - worth keeping an eye out for 1 mate!

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by DazT View Post

Daz

Whats the steering like Daz?

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by DazT View Post

Daz

That sounds an absolute bargain !

Not bad its permanent 4 wheel drive but the front diff is a limited slip diff - makes a massive difference mate!
    My mate has got the same quad as i've got - but his is a fair bit older and that pulled a shogun out of a ditch in lo range

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    That sounds an absolute bargain !
    Yep i think so too

I run a quad and a Gator. Servicing on the Gator is a lot, lot more than the quad, although the Gator's have been better than the Mules I had before.

I would reccomend Honda without without exception. Something like the 420cc switchable 2/4 wheel drive. Having said that you will be suprised wher a 2 wheel drive one will go.

I have a kawasaki klf too, brilliant machine, shes old but starts on the button and will go anywhere, i have literally been in the bottom of a ditch with mud almost at the handle bars and she just pulled out in low range, needless to say i was being foolish and shan't be repeating the performance. Low range makes a huge difference. I like the new hondas but can't justify 7 grand on something that my little 400 quid bike does, oh and by the way the exhaust rotted so now it has the back box from a landrover 90 on it which makes it a bit louder than i like but i didn't like the new price of an exhaust!