Thread: I hate it when this happens.

I hate it when this happens.

A couple of months ago I bought a Savage .223 bolt action to use as a donor action for a 300 Whisper. It is an ugly gun: yellow lacquered birch stock and metal finish that has all the appeal of wrought iron. The crown looked funky and the accuracy was abysmal: 2" at 100M with good handloads. It came with a dinged-up old Tasco 3-9 scope that seemed to work so I left it on.

This past weekend my partner and another buddy arrived for a week-long prairiedog shoot and with them came my 300 Whisper barrel and dies. My partner took one look at this ancient Savage and asked if I'd pulled the action from the stock because some of the old Savage 110's had a fully adjustable trigger. Well. We took a look and it did have the good trigger: a plus. We got looking at the crown and it almost looked filed upon so I stuck a Nosler 52 grain Competiton in the bore and it fell in far past the ogive. That would explain the bad accuracy. While my two companions reloaded I recrowned the barrel and a retest now showed the Nosler ogive/body point solidly above the muzzle. The crown should now work.

For test loads I used Speer TNT 50 grain bullets over H322 in some trimmed and FL resized Winchester brass. I used CCI Small Rifle primers. From the start it was a different rifle. The bullets seemed to follow each scope adjustment with a purpose and the final group was three shots in a half inch! On the adjacent target backer there was an old target and I aimed for the staple and fired off my last five shots. These are they.

Happy? Sure. But now I need to find a donor action for my 300 Whisper.... dammit.
    ~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 06-08-2012 at 03:09.

Perhaps when you find one ......................................... I know it goes against the grain but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't shoot it just pull it apart.

Just a suggestion of course .

Typical,
    I just bought an old remmy adl 270 win as a doner.
    Not sure if I want to test it as is.....I'd be in the same mess if it shoots.
    edi

LOL! Muir, I'm glad it turned out that the trigger was a good one. As to the rifle (I told you, you should have picked up that used one at Scheel's we saw... ), just plain rotten luck... LOL!

I know how you feel.
    I bought a ruger no1V in 6mm rem with the intentions of rebarrelling in 7mm, The lad I bought it off gave me a few rounds he had for it, so I tried it.
    So accurate it has become my go to rifle for everything.
    Looking at getting rid of my .223 x bolt and getting one in 7mm now.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Same here, the cheap Rem 700 ADL that I bought in 308Win was going to be rebarrelled to 358Win but I also made the mistake of shooting it........

Thank God I'm not alone. It messes up my plans but it's still kind of gratifying, isn't it? I think I paid $150 for the Savage. Great trigger and accurate. If I could fit a AR-15 mag kit........~Muir

No Muir your not alone.

The BSA Majestic in 270 Win with the supposedly shot out barrel I picked up for 75 complete with a set of P-H RHAS.4 rings on it well as per usual I cleaned it and once I got the fouling out of the barrel discovered it was not shot out and would shoot stayed as a 270 Win instead of becoming the 280 AI. I used the Monarch that did have a worn barrel instead.

On a plus side as I had more sets of RAHS.4 rings at the time than needed they went onto the auction site and now reside in Canada and fetched 64 so the rifle cost me 11 .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    No Muir your not alone.

The BSA Majestic in 270 Win with the supposedly shot out barrel I picked up for 75 complete with a set of P-H RHAS.4 rings on it well as per usual I cleaned it and once I got the fouling out of the barrel discovered it was not shot out and would shoot stayed as a 270 Win instead of becoming the 280 AI. I used the Monarch that did have a worn barrel instead.

On a plus side as I had more sets of RAHS.4 rings at the time than needed they went onto the auction site and now reside in Canada and fetched 64 so the rifle cost me 11 .
    Perfect! ~Muir