Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monopoly

Monopoly

2014 Will see SNH decide if Scotland will have a compulsory competence level delivered by the private sector DMQ or if they them selves will set the competency level and deliver the standard of competence at source. After reading the post by PeterM on BASC approved trainers and with them owning DMQ with the BDS do you think that BASC are creating a monopoly for the future. 

Possibly something someone like the www.competition-commission.org.uk/ could look into, surely not just one body can provide necessary / compulsary training? That really would be a monopoly!

tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Have been commenting on this for long enough, How many places can you go fowling in england without being a member of basc.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    2014 Will see SNH decide if Scotland will have a compulsory competence level delivered by the private sector DMQ or if they them selves will set the competency level and deliver the standard of competence at source. 

I don't think that this is quite correct. In 2014 SNH will assess competency levels to ascertain whether or NOT compulsory training is neccessary.

Besides that. DSC level one cannot and will not be set as the required standard. If it were to become law that training was needed before shooting a deer, then the standard will need to be set independently. I'm sure that DSC level one will meet the standard, but it cannot be the standard.

I think you'll find that different bodies will start to offer deer management certificates to rival BASCs. People like LANTRA and NPTC will be at it too. Personally, I hope that if they do bring it in, that it's a completely new course and qualification somewhere in between dsc1 and dsc2. DSC1 with a stalk if you like. One that everybody, regardless of qualification or experience must take.

So how would wealthy visiting stalkers fit in to the framework? Presumably an exemption if accompanied by aa qualified stalker. After all a massive amount of money would be lost if visitors had to sit a course.

I have stalked in Scotland every year for the last 3 and will be going again in the rut this year. How will this affect me in the future as i am not a "wealthy visiting stalker"
    Tusker.

How will this affect me in the future as i am not a "wealthy visiting stalker"
    Tusker.
    Simples It'll cost you more money one way or another which's what its all about imo.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    So how would wealthy visiting stalkers fit in to the framework? Presumably an exemption if accompanied by aa qualified stalker. After all a massive amount of money would be lost if visitors had to sit a course.
    Exactly what is being proposed, will need to be accompanied by someone who has the qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    I have stalked in Scotland every year for the last 3 and will be going again in the rut this year. How will this affect me in the future as i am not a "wealthy visiting stalker"
    Tusker.
    Like the previous post you will need to be accompanied by someone with qualification

Shabz and Others what MIGHT happen is at best a guess what WILL happen is a standard will be set that we will all need to reach. This will allow us the stalkers of GB to stalk and shoot deer in Scotland with a suitable CF rifle.At this moment in time the only REAL qualification that is getting set as a standard is DSC 1. It has been fully accepted by the deer sector. No add on,s no change to that standard, no need to shoot a deer. Who runs DMQ ??? i am sure David from BASC will state that it is shared between them and the BDS. All the other providers of the qualification need to go through DMQ (BASC /BDS).What i am saying is it is close to 2014 and already Peter M is stating that BASC are special and like my venison are quality assured (Peter still waiting for a submitted portfolio from January!!! QUALITY)Are they running a monopoly and influencing government departments not for the deer stalking standards and deer welfare but for monetary gains on there part.
    May i also add the deer sector consists of mainly SNH FCS BASC BDS. Fair chasse it is not .