Thread: Scope will not raise POI

Help with zero problems

Very very strange evening, had a prime early evening fox at 160 yards so added 1.5" low and fired, next thing I saw was a puff of smoke coming up off the road about 40 yards in front of me. Fox long gone and as it was on a decline I though "oh maybe the rise was higher than I though". Stood up inside the Jeep so resting on the roof and picked a tree in the dip but higher off the road and fired and same thing again.

Took the mod off and fired same again, at this point I was getting annoyed and out of ammo, drove home picked up a box back to same spot and setup a target and fired 10 more whilst raising up the turrets. With the turrets maxed out it only shifted it about 2 yards further. Dropped the turrets all the way down and it came about 5 yards closer.

Edit: forgot to say that the shots were hitting in the bottom of the thick line on a mildot when looking through the scope.

My question is is my scope knacked, only thing that comes off is the mod when I get back, rifle is carried in a rigid carry case so no knocks.

Should I remove the scope and set the turrets on the bottom and try again? Horizontally its perfect and 2 weeks ago I was shooting bang on at 200 yards, ammo hasn't changed either!
    Last edited by ths84; 07-08-2012 at 09:21. Reason: title change

I would check all mounting screws, remove the mod and try again. If no joy then substitute another scope. What rifle, scope and mounts are you using??

Sorry forgot to say.

Rifle is a Remington 700 SPS in 243
    Scope is a Bushnell Tropy XLT 3x9-40
    Scope rings are Warne on Leupold 2 Piece Mounts

Mounting screws were on solid and no movement at all including on the scope. I have taken the scope off and will re-zero (or try too) this week.
    Last edited by ths84; 07-08-2012 at 09:18.

SD Regular
    This sort of thing is horrible, isn't it.

Since you're doing the obvious, I'd also go for a really good clean and make sure that nothing is in between the barrel and the stock. Do you have another rifle to try the scope on?
    It would be a surprise if it was ammo (you don't say what it is), but that is the other obvious variable.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    This sort of thing is horrible, isn't it.

Since you're doing the obvious, I'd also go for a really good clean and make sure that nothing is in between the barrel and the stock. Do you have another rifle to try the scope on?
    It would be a surprise if it was ammo (you don't say what it is), but that is the other obvious variable.
    Its Geco 105gr SP, was shooting beautifully couple of weeks back, I checked over the stock last night and there is nothing touching but it is just so weird how its still central but stupidly low!

Ill grab my mates scope and try that one as well just to make sure!

Is it the same batch of ammo or have the batch numbers changed?

Batch is the same which is good so I know the ammo is fine, I have reset the scope and done a quick zero with a bullet laser sighter but it will only show when I get it out and put a through few, I'm hoping its just having a moment and there is nothing major wrong with it

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by ths84 View Post
    Batch is the same which is good so I know the ammo is fine, I have reset the scope and done a quick zero with a bullet laser sighter but it will only show when I get it out and put a through few, I'm hoping its just having a moment and there is nothing major wrong with it

Thanks for the responses!
    Unless you have used this laser sighter before through the rifle I would still use a big target as I have had mixed results in the past.

If you can get hold of a collimator they are handy for checking that the turrets are adjusting correctly by following the grid lines with the cross hairs (if you get my meaning).

Also on the range, once you are printing on paper, you could put the collimator on the barrel in between shots (obviously unload each time) to check there has not been any adjustment of zero.

If you have an alternative scope it might be just as easy to swap them over instead.

Where did you buy the rifle and scope from? I know when I helped an RFD friend out in the shop we would always be happy to help problem solve with things like this.