Thread: Fasciola hepatica (MORE liver flukes!) with pics

Fasciola hepatica (MORE liver flukes!) with pics

Evening, all.

I took a healthy looking fallow buck on monday morning. He was behaving normally during 25 min of observation prior to shot; grazing on soggy area of ground in wood plantation. Slight antler asymmetry was the only external abnormality. During the gralloch, I noticed the liver was mottled at one margin and so at home I dissected it in slices and found three flukes. Nothing else worrying found during gralloch or post-mortem; no lymphadenopathy, no pleural adhesions etc... Although the ducts were quite thickened in the region of the mottling, there was no macroscopic calcification.

I have some proper pics on my SLR but can't link it to computer at present - the following are with a compact so limited quality.

Here is the deer:

Here are some pics of the liver and the flukes. Note the thickened wall of duct in the middle pic.

There are Roe on the same land but inspection of their livers will have to wait a while. I fear they may fare less well.

I am under the impression that these flukes are not readily transmitted to humans (zoonotic) by eating infected animals, so I ate the tenderloin and one of the kidneys (thoroughly delicious!). If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!

Xav

A more than adequate description of liver fluke . Always nice to see a photo , otherwise we rely on imagination! books are cool but Photos are proof!!!.
    Thanks for the information ,
    Trapper

Yes, thanks for that xav that is very helpful. If you have any photos of any other deseases I would like to see them.

Grant