Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consitent groups, inconsitent zero

Consitent groups, inconsitent zero

After a poor shot at a roe buck on Monday night (see: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pic.php?t=5331 ) I went down the range last night and the rifle was shooting about 1.5" low & 1" right at 100 yards. I was still getting decent groups, but this is the 3rd time I zeroed in as many months and I'm starting to lose confidence in the setup.

It's a relatively new rifle (sako 75, 100ish rounds through it) and the only thing I'd done since last time I zeroed is removed and refit the mod a few times. Same batch of Norma ammo.

I'm a bit lost as I seem to get consistently tight groups but have to keep re-zeroing. Last time I zeroed was pretty much the exact opposite of what I found last night - 1.5" high & 1" left, rather than 1.5" low & 1" right. I'm starting wonder if the (secondhand) S&B scope is at fault or question the quality of the barrel threading job???

At the weekend I intend to strip the scope mounts and bases, check for tightness, locktite and refit everything. I'll give the action screws a check and confirm the barrel is still floating freely (synthetic stock) then whiz the mod on and off a few times and see if that makes any difference.

Is there anything else I should be checking/looking for? I'm at the edge of my limited rifle experience and running out of options!!

I just bought a new remmy in 243, out of the box it shoots almost half inch. If I hold it different it also shoots same group just somewhere else.
    Most factory rifles can group under an inch but are really only 4" rifles.

You could check that your rifle is free floating under all possibilities. So let someone check while you go through the positions. Prone, off bipod, off sticks and apply plenty pressure. Stock is not allowed to touch at any time. I prefer to have quite a large gap between barrel and stock, which means I can also run an oily rag through to get the crud out and oil the bottom of the barrel.
    The best reliability and concistency can be achieved with a well bedded composite stock.

Of course you need to check like you said all other things like action screws, scope and mounts.
    If the bullets where striking the moderator I think the groups would not be consistent.
    One more test> if you have an over barrel moderator. Shoot a group, the remove the delrin ring in the back, tighten mod well and shoot another group. Sometimes the fit of the delrin ring is too tight. It should not touch the barrel when the mod is mounted.

edi

have you been cleaning it?

I had a pro hunter just like that take mod of at night zero was different next day so in the end got rid . Shot one hole groups without mod, on mine i had a t8 on never tried it with any other mod but am looking at a jet Z or something that doesn't need rear bushes on the barrel this time . Have spoken to a lot of people on this they said mark your barrel with tippex and the mod and make sure mod and barrel marks match up each time as this may be the problem. Hope you sort it out as i just gave up in the end shot more ammo checking zero than deer some body must have the answer on sight as there are a few clever buggers out there

Nope, not been cleaning - left well alone and yes optilocks - is that the problem??? Been wondering if it is maybe the block to ring screw that's worked loose?

Oh, and it's a jet-z mod...

The causes I would expect are to do with holding the rifle slightly differant each time or perhaps a paralax error on the scope.
    Sounds Like they would all be dead deer if you choose thr correct POA.

Dave

Can you explain "holding the rifle differently" to a numpty like me?
    Do you mean having a slight "cant" to the rifle when shooting or something along those lines? Last couple of times I've zeroed have been off a sandbag on the bonnet of the truck which has given a really solid and stable shooting platform and fairly certain there's not been anything different in my shooting position etc.

I don't understand how holding it differently could result in two different groups, one at 10 o'clock and one at 4 o'clock - i.e. they're 180 degrees opposite, with one being high and left the other low and right (unless I was holding the rifle upside down?? ). If I was canting the gun a few degrees one way or other then I could see how the bullet path and line of sight may vary a touch, but 3 inches from one side of bull to other?

Try shooting a group without the mod, that should answer the Q if thats where your problem lies.
    Nell

Quote Originally Posted by 75
    Can you explain "holding the rifle differently" to a numpty like me?
    Do you mean having a slight "cant" to the rifle when shooting or something along those lines? Last couple of times I've zeroed have been off a sandbag on the bonnet of the truck which has given a really solid and stable shooting platform and fairly certain there's not been anything different in my shooting position etc.

I don't understand how holding it differently could result in two different groups, one at 10 o'clock and one at 4 o'clock - i.e. they're 180 degrees opposite, with one being high and left the other low and right (unless I was holding the rifle upside down?? ). If I was canting the gun a few degrees one way or other then I could see how the bullet path and line of sight may vary a touch, but 3 inches from one side of bull to other?