Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scope cost madness

scope cost madness

I've recently become aware of the recieved wisdom that a scope should cost as much (or, in fact, preferably more than) the rifle it's on.

Really??

What's the logic?

Because you can easily improve rifle performance, nothing you can do with a bad scope but junk it.

Pay dear, cry once.

most if not all rifles are better than the person holding it,
    but if you cant get a constant point of aim..........

the logic is that you get what you pay for

Have had the same conversation/learning curve with newer shooters for over a quarter of a century

The same rule also applies to the scope mounts
    Last edited by saddler; 07-08-2012 at 17:23.

depends on what it is going on as well,i cant see the point on putting a 2k scope on a hunting air rifle when most off the modern 100/200 scope are easily clear enough to 40m.
    centre fire rifles a different thing,past 300 yards the glass quality really shows,and there is no point having a rifle if you cant see what your shooting at

This was good advice when I first bought a c/f rifle, I think. The rifle was of course second-hand, as I was younger and poorer.
    How does it stack up now? Quick scan of various sites gives us a PH .270 for about 300 or less, or an alledgely good Sako AIV for 500.

S/H scopes? 6x42 Schmidt, Zeiss, Swaro all starting at 300ish, up to nearly new condition at nearly new prices.

Seems to hold so far for lowish-budget purchase of solid, reliable gear.

For me, it would no longer hold if I decided irrationally to buy a stalking-rifle costing a couple of grand. Why would I need more scope than a Schmidt 6x42 on it?

Oh, I understand the distinction between, say, a 40 or so scope and something in the 2-300 bracket (ie. around half the cost of a good rifle). But beyond that? There must be very few shooters who are good enough that the additional quality of the scope will make the blindest bit of difference.

A high end piece of glass will only make a difference once you're shooting is already very, very consistent. Before then, inaccuracy caused by the shooter will mask any minor gains caused by the scope. The simple analogy would be that buying a Ferarri won't improve your driving: you'll only get the best out of it once your've become an extrenely good driver. Up til then, probably best to stick to a Focus...

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Oh, I understand the distinction between, say, a 40 or so scope and something in the 2-300 bracket (ie. around half the cost of a good rifle). But beyond that? There must be very few shooters who are good enough that the additional quality of the scope will make the blindest bit of difference.

A high end piece of glass will only make a difference once you're shooting is already very, very consistent. Before then, inaccuracy caused by the shooter will mask any minor gains caused by the scope. The simple analogy would be that buying a Ferarri won't improve your driving: you'll only get the best out of it once your've become an extrenely good driver. Up til then, probably best to stick to a Focus...
    depends on what range your shooting at m8

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    For me, it would no longer hold if I decided irrationally to buy a stalking-rifle costing a couple of grand. Why would I need more scope than a Schmidt 6x42 on it?
    I agree, I've got an S&B 8X56 that cost me 250 second hand on my rifle. The rifle cost a lot more but I can't imagine a better scope for my purposes. It is worth buying a quality scope that is suitable for your purposes, it is not worth paying a fortune just because some bloke on the internet says you should spend more on your scope than on your rifle. Which is the long way of saying use common sense.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/