Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you do?

what would you do?

I know a farmer that has quite recently done his DSC level 1, and is quite up to date on the meat hygine part. How ever i know that he hasnt access to a chiller, to bring the temp down on the deer etc, and i know he takes the deer to a dealer, and it is entering the food chain, what would you do? report it?

i know that the deer is out hanging in a store, for a period of 10 hrs before going to a dealer

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post
    I know a farmer that has quite recently done his DSC level 1, and is quite up to date on the meat hygine part. How ever i know that he hasnt access to a chiller, to bring the temp down on the deer etc, and i know he takes the deer to a dealer, and it is entering the food chain, what would you do? report it?

i know that the deer is out hanging in a store, for a period of 10 hrs before going to a dealer
    Itd be really low to report him in my opinion , I'm sure the dealer would take care of it of he's not happy . He's got his details on tag .

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post

You know an awful lot don't you . Or you think you do .

Whats your problem ,is he not allowing you to shoot the ground ?
    Seems like you've got a bigger agenda with this .

I cannot help wondering how the human race has survived this long, you require to broaden you horizons a bit .

I see deer shot ever week in Scotland by clients and stalkers alike, that put them in a vehicle and drive anything from 5 to 12 hours, then take them to the game dealer ,so what it's there carcass not mine and certainly not yours .

I know places the carcasses are hung in the chill and it's never switched on ,I know game dealers with vans the chiller is never on either ,they inspect the carcasses ,it is up to them to render a carcass unfit not you .
    ================================================== ===

we all seem to be getting tag happy on this site not every where uses them .
    Last edited by widows son; 08-08-2012 at 08:30.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not infested with flies, people use Roe safes, muslin sheets etc etc so should be fine!!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Id keep out of it personally. The gamedealer is happy to take them thats their business.

atb steve

working as a game butcher a couple of years ago, I was asked to go and skin/butcher a deer on a local estate/farm that the son had shot with his dads .243...I got there (and bear in mind this was July/August), the deer in question to start with was a roe doe, it had been shot 10 days earlier, gralloched and hung in an open garage with no cover.
    Ive eaten everything from furry partridges to green pheasants, but even I wouldn't have eaten this...the boy wanted it butchered to take back to university, which i did, trying to scrape as many fly eggs off it as possible, bet the University chaps just loved the wild scottish venison........

If the Gamedealer is not happy let him deal with it , none of your business.

why not try to find him a fridge local? i just have its big enough for 2 roe deer. if you help him out it will only help to show good character on your behalf we all need a little help and guidance every now and then ?

I had someone bubble me once for something not shooting related ,they sent anonymous letters to the council and I can say it was so low and underhand I was spitting venom and would far rather they had the balls to speak to me about it and had a man to man talk but they didn't .
    so either grow a pair and man up or shut up if it were the other way round what would you prefer ,sorry if it offends you but it is the way I was brought up ....tell tale tits and rat on a rat load of cobblers different if he was a nonse or something
    norma

I've eaten venison that's been shot Friday evening, gralloched and hung in a fly net in the shade of the trees until Sunday before driving home. 10hrs is not excessive, what do you think they did before chillers were invented.
    Admittedly none of mine enters the food chain, all for personal consumption but I feed it to my kids and none of us have experienced any ill effects.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox