Thread: FAC - Check Details

FAC - Check Details

Had my FC called in to reprint to take allowance of a new rifle.

Upon return I duly checked the new addition, all OK.

Months later I'm at Manchester airport flying to South Africa with a rifle I've taken before. Customs point out to me that the serial number on my FAC isn't the same as on the rifle !

A single number was out, a 9 instead of a 3. No probs with Customs as they could see it was a likely typo and that I had a ticket to come back. All they would be doing is reporting the export/import of the firearm anyway and would point out the "administrative error" to Lincs Police.

South Africa was a bit more subtle. I stuck with the number on my FAC and just picked up the offending rifle and "read out" the number No problem

Moral of the story is to check everything when your FAC comes back....

Stan

PS. On my return to Manchester one of my rifles, yes you guessed the offending serial error, was delayed to the following flight. I went home to Lincoln and the next day Customs phoned, asked for the combination to my case to check it, and then released it to the Airline to courier it to me. One up for combination as opposed to padlocks.

I had the same problem at Heathrow a few years ago. The last two numbers on my FC were inverted ending in 47 instead of 74. Luckily the Customs guy had a bit of common sense and changed the number, stamped it with a customs stamp and signed and dated it. He told me to get it sorted on my return.
    Ho Ho Ho, on my return the customs guy I saw coming in was not the same one and he went ballistic.
    Accused me of falsifying official documents and was going to hold the rifle until I came back with a corrected FC and went on about charges being laid against me for falsifying the FC and charges for storing the rifle until I got it sorted and collected it.
    Oh he made such a fuss and would only listen to half of what I was saying then another guy came over to see what all the fuss was about, looked at the FC, recognised his mates signature and the stamp and eventually after a bit of an argument among themselves agreed to let me have the rifle and promise to get it sorted as soon as I got home!!
    Phew what a relief but it just goes to show how careful we need to be.

I had a similar experience 2 years ago when i returned to Heathrow from Croatia. when i got my gun checked by customs they spotted the last to digits were back to front on my F.A.C but were correct on my European licences the customs officer was getting very shirty with me about it even though British customs had not spotted it on the way out and customs in Croatia just want to see you European certificate. He asked his supervisor who said that they would let me through this time and then asked me if i had any shotgun ammo with me ?
    When i told him it was a rifle and i had 40 rounds of ammo for it with me his face dropped and was looking very worried as i told him that the other shooters on that flight also had rifles ammo they had just let most of them clear customs and head home. so he told me i could go but that they would be reporting the mater to my police force firearms Department and let me go.

It make you glad that we have border guards like them!!!

smullery
    glad all went well for you
    could of been a lot worse even accussed of trafficking arms
    but common sense prevailed
    i always check my ticket to every last detail because of that fact , once i hav signed it i am responsible for not noticing the mistakes that those of a higher authority hav made

I flew out to Poland, opened my EU pass to find no serial numbers at all
    Luckily I had a very pretty young army lady (with a gun) who saw the funny side checked my British certificate and let me through.
    I'm sure it was my charm and good looks that swung it

Wayne

Got my ticket back this week from a variation, checked it and signed it only to notice they had not signed it....

Straight back in the post to them for them to reissue it with the right signature stamp this time I hope!

Got my ticket back this week from a variation, checked it and signed it only to notice they had not signed it....

Straight back in the post to them for them to reissue it with the right signature stamp this time I hope!

Got mine back this week after buying a 17HMR only to see it listed as a .22LR on my certificate...

Years ago, when the local Bobby came round to check your firearms he read one of the numbers on my Brno .22 as a 6 instead of a 9. He corrected his paperwork and asked me to initial the correction. Every time after that I had to explain why my initials were not included in the number on the barrel of the rifle!!!