forestry commision

Pro_guitar

Evening,

I see more stalking on the forestry commsion website of which one part of it is 1.5 mile away and one other bit is 8 mile away from me. I would love to get this as it is land that i have walked the dog on for years and ran about in a child. Although this is part of a larger contract of which the rest of it is 40 Mile away from me and the contract is for about 600 deer! I do hear of stalkers gaining land through the FC that they shoot on recreationally like myself. Do the FC accomodate for stalkers like us or are they mostly looking for contractors? There is really good FC land near me with massive Fallow and Reds etc but is there a realistic chance of a working man like myself ever getting anything off them?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I think that would depend how much time you could devote to it and your level of experience I would imagine. They wont want stalkers there, they'll want deer controllers. Deer are nothing but a pest in forestry and they need to be killed. From my experience of it anyway.

I find it funny that they're gonna pay someone £58k over three years to kill 600 deer then further down the page, they want someone to pay them £1200 to kill 12! Crazy!

I totally am with you there Shabz. However i will try and find private stalking close by and give the FC a good swerve.

Give it a try Brit, they might let you shoot those flying deer for free :lol:

As they are supposedly civil servants same as the lot in Whitehall and Parliment we know how that would go.

However the fact remains it's not their land at all. They are only supposedly looking after it for us the people.

Surely this is an opportunity for some of the DMG's to put forward a proposal to cull the deer!Does the contract limit it to one contractor?If not then why not approach the FC with a proposal and see what happens..Nothing ventured nothing gained..

quite a lot of ground where the fc manage the deer is not owned by them at all
some areas the fc look after the trees and along that they also control the deer but the ground its self is owned by somone other than the goverment
as for being a contractor for the fc then contact the relevant branch and in due course they will send you tender documents as contracts become available
if you have the time and equipment etc and you come in within budget for said contract then you might get one
you will be given a cull target to reach which you will be aware of in the tender details and you will be paid your agreed sum per deer
all the carcasses will be submitted to the fc larder and they sell and keep the money for them
a few years back i looked into this and was sent maybe 7 - 8 sets of tender documents with some small and some large areas all in various parts of scotland
any one interested then give it a try but remember its a contract and you have to do the job
hope this helps regards andy

Back