Thread: Cheap alternative rifle cleaning products

Cheap alternative rifle cleaning products

I noticed someone mention using carburetta cleaner for copper removal. With the price of bore cleaning products being quite expensive I wondered if anyone had found other every day products that perform just as well as the expensive stuff? Anyone willing to admit costly mistakes!?

I would have to disagree that these products are expensive TBH. The only new chemical I ever need to buy is the Napier aerosol and a big can lasts me best part of a year.

You either do a lot of cleaning or use too much product! I'd say that gun cleaning (once you have the kit) is such an insignificant cost. A single 10 bottle of solvent will clean may hundred pounds worth of ammunition crap!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Anyone that knows me would probably say I am a bit over zealous with cleaning. I probably use to much of the products as well. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I don't know that I would use something not designed for the job but I am curious all the same!

I thought that the carburetter cleaner was for the carbon deposits not copper fouling.
    Ive never used it so not sure either way.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    I thought that the carburetter cleaner was for the carbon deposits not copper fouling.
    Ive never used it so not sure either way.
    Sinbad
    I think this it was what it was used for. I can't imagine it would shift copper that well.