Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new 22-250.

In the market for a new 22-250.

If the esteemed members of this forum were in my position what would they be buying and why? Only stipulation is that it must be available in synthetic stock.

I would go for a Tikka T3 or a Sako 85 just because they are both well built and very accurate straight out of the box.

Wayne
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

CZ varmint either with laminated stock, or buy wood and get an after market stock, it will be more accurate than a sako or tikka.

Tikka m595 and re barrel it, or a T3. If money is no probs, Sako 85.

T3
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Sjambok

I looked at the Tikka T3 super varmint, Sako A7 and Sako 85.

I went for a Sako 85 in laminate stainless. I went for the laminate because I've got two plastic stocked 85's already and fancied something different. I'm having to wait six months for mine because the longer barrel length version is a special order from Sako.

Unfortunately, Sako don't make an 85 with varmint weight barrel and a plastic stock, but that might not bother you.

Have a think about the barrel length. The T3' super varmints come with either a 510 mm (20 inch) or 600 mm (24 inch). I was advised that if I wanted to get the absolute max out of the cartridge I would be better off with the longer barrel, which is what I went for. I've not got the rifle yet, so I can't yet say from experience whether the extra length makes any difference.

The longer barrel might be a bit unwieldy for use from a truck with a mod on. I figured that if its too long and I don't get any benefit from the extra length I can have it cut back to a 22 or 20 inch if needs be.

There's nothing between the T3 and 85 in terms of accuracy. The T3 probably offers the better value IMO.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Last edited by Dovebob; 10-08-2012 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    CZ varmint either with laminated stock, or buy wood and get an after market stock, it will be more accurate than a sako or tikka.
    what cr@p nothing wrong with cz i do rate there rifles having owned 4 in the past but to claim that it will definatly be more acurate than another brand is bull

I broke out the new eight-inch twist .223 Tikka T-3 Lite this past week for a friend to use prairiedogging. (the one that doesn't shoot bullets less than 55 grains well??) All the groups using bullets 50-53 grains shot exceptionally well and he made kills out to 350 yards with it. I have never owned a Tikka before. I was impressed.

Unfortunately, I don't own a Tikka now as I had it shipped to his dealer in his home town. He REALLY liked it. Anyhow, a thumbs up for Tikka.

And I am reminded! I ran into a young Mennonite fellow at the range this last Spring with Tikka 22-250 shooting factory ammo. Seeing all the spent brass, I encouraged him to get a Lee Classic Loader and start making his own handloads. I swear, one hour later he and his pretty wife same back to the range with the Loader and assorted gear, fresh from the Trading Post, and began knocking together reloads on the tailgate of their truck. He then proceeded to shoot seriously small bug hole groups at 100m. He'd give a thumbs up to Tikka as well, I think.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    what cr@p nothing wrong with cz i do rate there rifles having owned 4 in the past but to claim that it will definatly be more acurate than another brand is bull
    Okay point taken, I have never shot a tikka, and the sako I have fired was Very accurate, but I love CZ rifles and I am very biased.