Thread: Saki 75

Saki 75

I have a sako 75 308 with a standard barrel on it and have added a jet z moderator but I feel the rifle is too long can I cut the barrel and thread it 6 inches shorter so with the moderator it is back to standard length, I am just worried that it might affect the accuracy. Can any body help!! Thanks.

You shouldnt see any loss in accuracy, so long as you use a reputable smith.

A 20" .308 won't loose much velocity, so don't let that put you off.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    A 20" .308 won't loose much velocity, so don't let that put you off.
    I agree.

However a standard Sako 75 .308 has a 22 7/8" barrel, so the result of a 6" chop would be a barrel about 16.5" long.

16.5" sounds very short.

As Mr Egg says, 20" is perhaps a good compromise, and is quite fashionable at the moment. That would save 2.5".

A reflex or over-barrel type moderator would save another 2".

Might be a better way to go.
    Last edited by Dalua; 09-08-2012 at 16:39.

A glass of Saki would be just fine right now thank you!.... 75 or any other vintage.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Doctor View Post
    I have a sako 75 308 with a standard barrel on it and have added a jet z moderator but I feel the rifle is too long can I cut the barrel and thread it 6 inches shorter so with the moderator it is back to standard length, I am just worried that it might affect the accuracy. Can any body help!! Thanks.

The simple answer is to save the money and learn to shoot without a moderator......................................... .... Simples .

Have you priced having the barrel shortened and the thread cut?

Thanks guys for all your comments, advice taken!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    A glass of Saki would be just fine right now thank you!.... 75 or any other vintage.
    Is it not more likely that your glass of sake would be brought to you by a saki?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Is it not more likely that your glass of sake would be brought to you by a saki?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Get a lighter mod, 2" of barrel is unlikely to make much of a difference.
    That jet z is good but a can of beans.

If you are only stalking with it it won't make much difference chopping it back to 16-18. It will probably make it more difficult to sell should you wish to part with it.