Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reblueing a Scope

Reblueing a Scope

I have an old Swarovski Habicht scope that has had the blueing worn and is now becoming susceptible to corrosion. Does anyone know if Swaro reblue scopes? are there people who can do it other than Swaro? What are the costs involved?

I tried an old sworovski with cold blue without much luck although I am sure they would do it for you. In the end I went for the matt black spray finish with clear lacquer on top avoiding the moving bits on the eye end. Seems hardwearing enough but not that pretty.

I'm a bit fussy! It is to go back on a Heym with some high grade wood on it so I want it to look the part!

is it steel?

I repainted a Zeiss scope with excellent results (better than the original if I do say so myself!)

would imagine to reblue you are looking at stripping it and hot caustic blueing to get the desired result

Hi

Swarovski used to reblue scopes a few years ago - I asked to have a steel Habicht Nova done but just missed the change to not providing this service.

I still ask every so often just in case it has changed - no avail so far.....

Would also be interested in who else may be able to provide this service, costs etc.

May be Paul Burke? can dismantle and then a Gunsmith blueing as any other steel item before fitting out again..

L

Just sounds a bit tricky and expensive. Strip down, blue. optically re-assemble with checking for optical centering, nitrogen gassing. If it works, paint it and quit while you are ahead. Just my 2p. A proper job would probably cost more than getting a new one.

David.

I've got a german schmidt and bender 6x42 that had ring marks on the tube and the scope looked really tatty. Optics are superb and the scope holds a good zero so thought i'd try and find out who "refurbished" scopes. I contacted JAGERSA on here as i had been told he can duracoat scopes. Dropped him a pm and had a chat with James and he told me that it was possible to get the scope duracoated. I did say that the scope was in a bad way and that it might take a bit of work to sort it out, but that was fine and i sent the scope to him using special delivery.

During the prep work he kept me up to date with progress and with some good photos. To remove all of the ring marks and missing coating he had to remove the coating of the scope. He then recoated the scope using the black duracoat firearm finish. After my cheque had cleared he sent the scope back to me using special delivery, when i opened the box i thought he had sent me the wrong scope! It looked like a brand new schmidt and bender 6x42! The job he did on the scope was fantastic and it has turned out a lot better than i had hoped - due to the state the scope was in before!

If you need a scope/rifle/anything done in duracoat - James is your man!!!

Pics added : during and after

Cheers
    Daz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.JPG   photo (2).JPG  
    Last edited by DazT; 10-08-2012 at 10:30. Reason: added pics
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I have an old Swarovski Habicht scope that has had the blueing worn and is now becoming susceptible to corrosion. Does anyone know if Swaro reblue scopes? are there people who can do it other than Swaro? What are the costs involved?
    Swaro used to but I was told they has recently stopped offering this service give them a ring and ask

Quote Originally Posted by DazT View Post
    I've got a german schmidt and bender 6x42 that had ring marks on the tube and the scope looked really tatty. Optics are superb and the scope holds a good zero so thought i'd try and find out who "refurbished" scopes. I contacted JAGERSA on here as i had been told he can duracoat scopes. Dropped him a pm and had a chat with James and he told me that it was possible to get the scope duracoated. I did say that the scope was in a bad way and that it might take a bit of work to sort it out, but that was fine and i sent the scope to him using special delivery.

During the prep work he kept me up to date with progress and with some good photos. To remove all of the ring marks and missing coating he had to remove the coating of the scope. He then recoated the scope using the black duracoat firearm finish. After my cheque had cleared he sent the scope back to me using special delivery, when i opened the box i thought he had sent me the wrong scope! It looked like a brand new schmidt and bender 6x42! The job he did on the scope was fantastic and it has turned out a lot better than i had hoped - due to the state the scope was in before!

If you need a scope/rifle/anything done in duracoat - James is your man!!!

Pics added : during and after

Cheers
    Daz

How much did it cost Daz ? ,df

Pm sent
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"