Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 243 bullets

243 bullets

whats the best type of head to use for shooting roe deer? nosler partitions? normal soft points? hornady sst? sierra? what are your views? i have bought some 80grn nosler balistic tips but am worried they may do a little too much damage for what i want. any thought or point me in a direction?

In my experience you will be fine with what you have

I have not used Noslers so cannot help with them. I use Speer 85 grain spbt, which are very effective on Roe and Muntjac. With good shot placement they do not create excessive meat damage. Whilst the boat tail makes little difference to the trajectory at normal stalking ranges, it helps with bullet seating when home loading.
    With an 85 grain bullet just over 3,000 fps muzzle velocity is needed to achieve the 1,700 foot pounds muzzle energy. This is easily achievable with Varget or Viht N160 even with a 20 inch barrel.

Hello, in my 243 T3 I use Federal Nosler BT's in 95 grain for roe and sika, plus foxes if one appears. This maybe over the top for the roe but prefer to standardise on one round and have had great results. No issues with meat damage in over 12 months of use, provided that shot placement is good obviously.

Hornady 100 grain interlocks for me, Muntjac/Roe/Fallow and fox all hate it - seems to work out of my 700 without excessive meat damage and mr fox doesnt go anywhere.

36.5grns H380, rem bench primer

I use 100gn soft points in my .243 for Roe - I've never used anything else as these do everything I want them to without ruining half the meat. There's a palm-sized bruise on exit with a half inch hole in the middle.

I recently shot a muntjac which dropped on the spot despite it being a lung shot (a little far back that I'd have liked if I'm honest) - the round had split in two as there were 2 exit holes either side of one rib (about an inch apart). To me that said it was delivering most of it's energy to the deer.

Hi pablo.222, if you use the 80 grn ballistic tip head on a heart shot you will get extensive meat damage. But if you head/neck shoot them they will be fine.
    I use Hornady BTSP interlocks 100grn
    40 grn of Hodgdons H4350
    cci bench primer.

I've never found so much meat on the ribs of a roe to worry about meat damage at the foreend of the beast.
    Your 80gn bullet should be just fine. Cheers.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 11-08-2012 at 06:50.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by Browny View Post
    Hi pablo.222, if you use the 80 grn ballistic tip head on a heart shot you will get extensive meat damage. But if you head/neck shoot them they will be fine.
    I use Hornady BTSP interlocks 100grn
    40 grn of Hodgdons H4350
    cci bench primer.
    You must be using different Ballistic Tips to the ones I have ever seen used

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    You must be using different Ballistic Tips to the ones I have ever seen used
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I love the 70 grain BT for Roe.