Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lymes Disease Tester Kit Result

Lymes Disease Tester Kit Result

Hi,
    Tried out the Care Plus Lymes Disease Tester Kit from Bush Wear on a tick of about 4 mm across taken from the groin of a Roe buck freshly culled in south Cumbria in July. The kit was easy to use and within a few minutes we had the result for Lymes - NEGATIVE.
    I'd be interested to learn if any other stalkers have results from other areas. Who knows, perhaps a map of positive and negative results could be made?
    Unfortunately, the kit cannot be re-used and at 10 is an expensive one shot deal diagnostic, utilized her for sheer curiosity. Cheers, K

Is there a shelf life on this product ? and can it only be used on one tick, or can you test several ? I had no idea that Bushwear sold them and having had Lymes I would be interested in purchasing one.

Thanks
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

He had it - he can call it what he likes
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

+ one with moray
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Hi sikamalc, I didn't notice the shelf life on the pack but think as an external diagnostic it is likely to be 2 - 3 years; and left it with a mate who's not available right now. But, I can say that it is a one off test and throw it away. That said, it utilizes a chromatography paper strip in a cassette and as the liquid front moves across, it passes the Control (C) marker first followed by the Test (T) line. I didn't try this but think that if allowed the kit to dry out and then had access to a known POSITIVE Lyme Disease sample, washing out the reaction tube and using some more reagent liquid with the new POSITIVE tick should show a positive. Cheers, K

10 quid to know if the tick carries Lyme disease is worth every penny any day! But, how specific and sensitive is the test kit? The last thing you need is a kit with poor sensitivity which can lull you into a false sense of security.

tick kit

We Should all have a whip round for 1 of these for Paul And Barony .so he can check him self as the poor guy must be going out of his mind with worry .how do you explain that to your Doctor HA HA

sheep are ment to be left alone in the fields

DJC

When i contracted Lyme disease i was told by the GP that diagnosed it that the NHS tests were unreliable. I would presume that they are more accurate than a bought over the counter test, so i'd be a little dubious of any results the test gives. And before anyone says how did i know it was Lyme disease if they couldn't diagnose it (I know this site is full of smart arses - self included ) I was bitten by a tick 3 months prior to symptoms, had the classic symptoms and the Lyme specific antibiotics hit the spot within 2-3 weeks - they also clear VD as well !

Scrun

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    10 quid to know if the tick carries Lyme disease is worth every penny any day! But, how specific and sensitive is the test kit? The last thing you need is a kit with poor sensitivity which can lull you into a false sense of security.
    Even diagnostic labs using ELISA testing quote ~70% sensitivity (ie 3 in 10 declared free when not)!

There is a period of time after the bite that the tick can transmit infection, in dogs it is believed to be 48 hours. I don't know the answer in people.

I suggest that knowing a tick is positive will only cause worry, and there is nothing to suggest you will get the infection. Then there is a 30% chance the tick is infected and the kit says not. I can't see a use.

Quote Originally Posted by Krabryn View Post
    Hi sikamalc, I didn't notice the shelf life on the pack but think as an external diagnostic it is likely to be 2 - 3 years; and left it with a mate who's not available right now. But, I can say that it is a one off test and throw it away. That said, it utilizes a chromatography paper strip in a cassette and as the liquid front moves across, it passes the Control (C) marker first followed by the Test (T) line. I didn't try this but think that if allowed the kit to dry out and then had access to a known POSITIVE Lyme Disease sample, washing out the reaction tube and using some more reagent liquid with the new POSITIVE tick should show a positive. Cheers, K
    It is an ELISA test that relies on antibody-antigen interactions. It would either not work, or work much less well if reused! Wouldn't advise it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.